Lionfish Hunting Safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hondaid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Cozumel City Council through the Local Tourism Board and the National Marine Park of Cozumel, have organized the Lionfish Hunting Safari as part of sustainable activities to control this invasive species that is threatening the stability of the marine ecosystem. This species has no natural predators and therefore is attacking every other Caribbean species. There will also be a Gastronomic Show to promote the consumption of this species.

The price of the Safari is $195 usd and includes:

Technical training for the use of appropriate capture tools*

Six scuba tanks (two per day)
A T-shirt of "Official Lionfish Hunter"
Prints ID
5 tickets for the Gastronomic show
For the closing a snack of Lionfish and two free drinks at Señor Frogs
We suggest that you check the special rates that are being offered by the participating hotels and restaurants: http://lionfishhuntingsafari.blogspot.com/ as well as the airlines and the event program.

Join us and become an Official Lionfish Hunter in a sustainable way to support Cozumel's reefs.

* So far the capture tool authorized for this safari is the ELF (Eradication Lion Fish). Capture tools will be provided by the dive center through the support of the Cozumel Reefs National Park.

This is a Lionfish Safari update. Our team of 4 divers on a Sand Dollar Sports Boat removed over 60 Lionfish during a 2 tank dive today. More updates to follow.

Today our team of 6 divers and a camera man from Telamundo tv went way south past Punta Sur. We removed aprox 40 Lion Fish before the port closed again.:)

Here's a shot of our catch! Teamed up with dive operation "Living Underwater" Jeremy Anschel (far right holding victims) as divemaster and guide. Francisco and Ricardo as boat captain and mate (Far left and green hat). Thanks again guys! Had a lot of fun! We probably killed a total of 50 over 4 dives near Barracuda reef and nearby reefs.

IMG_0388.jpg

This sounds very interesting with the exception of... The ELT!?! Please tell me why there is a condition that requires divers to only use this spear?? I've used it recently and I personally don't care much for it..
I think it's nice that there are free demo models to use (apparently), however I'm not going on any spearfishing trip that requires me to use anything other than what I'm comfortable with, and which I think is most affective from experience..

Drop the requirement to use ELT's and you might get my business.. Of course, have free rental ELT's for everyone that wants to try them out..

The Cozumel City Council through the Local Tourism Board and the National Marine Park of Cozumel, have organized the Lionfish Hunting Safari as part of sustainable activities to control this invasive species that is threatening the stability of the marine ecosystem. This species has no natural predators and therefore is attacking every other Caribbean species. There will also be a Gastronomic Show to promote the consumption of this species.

The price of the Safari is $195 usd and includes:

Technical training for the use of appropriate capture tools*

Six scuba tanks (two per day)
A T-shirt of "Official Lionfish Hunter"
Prints ID
5 tickets for the Gastronomic show
For the closing a snack of Lionfish and two free drinks at Señor Frogs
We suggest that you check the special rates that are being offered by the participating hotels and restaurants: http://lionfishhuntingsafari.blogspot.com/ as well as the airlines and the event program.

Join us and become an Official Lionfish Hunter in a sustainable way to support Cozumel's reefs.

* So far the capture tool authorized for this safari is the ELF (Eradication Lion Fish). Capture tools will be provided by the dive center through the support of the Cozumel Reefs National Park.

Last edited:
This sounds very interesting with the exception of... The ELT? Please tell me why there is a condition that requires divers to only use this spear?? I've used it recently and I personally don't care much for it..
I think it's nice that there are free demo models to use (apparently), however I'm not going on any spearfishing trip that requires me to use anything other than what I'm comfortable with, and which I think is most affective from experience..

Drop the requirement to use ELT's and you might get my business.. Of course, have free rental ELT's for everyone that wants to try them out..
My guess would be they were a sponsor, or have a deal with the marine park or one of the dive sponsors. Can't really see any other reason.

Yup, someone is in bed with someone fishy.

Seems to me, a Hawaiian sling would be the the best tool to use. The diver can stay a safe distance away from the prey & still be deadly accurate at the same time.

They come in several lengths, but, mine is 3 to 3 1/2 feet long & the main head I have for it is a three pronged barb with the "spikes" being about 4-6" long each...

...hope the hunt was over all successful, can't wait to hear the final numbers...

I am bringing a two foot piece of 4in PVC pipe with a cap on one end and a push through vent on the other to stick Pez Leon in when I kill them. This way I can carry them without having to worry about being stung in the drift. I will carry it like I sling an 80.

My dive buddy Padraic and I joined the Lionfish Safari while we were there last week. We did the Saturday dive with Jeremy at Living Underwater (who did a superb job). The other hunters (Leon, Tac and Ron) were a pleasure to dive with.

A strong current our first dive made it a big challenge. You couldn't kick back against the current to pursue some of the shots and it made for a tough hunt. The second dive was much better with most of it having a manageable current.

I didn't get a final count, but it was probably in the 35-45 neighborhood. More importantly, no one got dinged.

I have killed LF before using both a short spear (my least favorite) and my own homemade varient of the Hawaiian sling (which is decent, but still needs some refinement). I found the ELF to be compact, easy to use and a pretty darn effective tool.

Thanks to all of the folks who worked so hard to put this together. I hope it can be an even bigger event next year.

Back
Top Bottom