Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have found a couple of places in the Florida Keys and one or two in Cozumel. So, where is the best place to learn how to spear and contain lionfish? I'm based in Atlanta, so getting to many places is fairly easy. I have to admit I was bummed that it wasn't an option on a recent trip to GCM. (a spear as a weapon?? kind of silly)

Last December on the Juliet (liveaboard) in St. Croix they offered us spears and keepers. The "learning process" is fairly simple. Stretch the rubber tubing, grab the shaft, approach the Lion fish, release. Then cram the fish into the keeper. Rinse and repeat. These nasty invaders have no other predators, so they let you get crazy-close. There were 5 clustered together within a 5 ft circle at the Armagedon site at about 80ft, and I picked them off one at a time. The others just watched and didn't move an inch while their buddies got bagged.

If you miss, then the target will scamper and play hide and seek.

Yeah..., I didn't think it was a steep learning curve, but I am sure there are a few nuances. I'm more looking for who has spears and zoo keepers (or homemade equivalent) for the divers. I really don't want to add a zoo keeper to my travel baggage.

Well, one nuance is that the keeper creates a heck of a lot of drag while you're finning around looking for the little devils. That was a surprise to me.

Snoweman,
I'm biased. Florida is the best place to learn how to hunt Lionfish.
For the most part, you won't need a saltwater fishing license for Lionfish removal, and most dive operators will let you hunt them. There are some important exceptions.

Hunting in the Florida Keys can be a bit more challenging. The Keys are within a Federal Marine Sanctuary and spearing is not allowed, unless you have a federal permit and you are doing it as part of a Lionfish Derby.

If you opt to visit FL, consider researching operators in the area you plan on diving and asking them if you can hunt.

In Palm Beach, Jupiter, Fort Lauderdale, Boca, you will find a good number of dive operators that will let you hunt, they may even let you use one of their zookeepers, if they have them.

Take a look at Narcosis Dive Company in West Palm Beach. I know they will let you hunt, let you use their Zookeeper and facilitate you a polepsear too.

Now, other things to consider. Diving Florida's east coast is considered drift diving, some times the current is very strong and the visibility is low, in any case, the diving is great, with lots of critters and lionfish hunting opportunities.

Carrying a Zookeeper and a polespear also requires practice. Come down to Florida and give it a try.

I'm trying to attach a picture of a recent hunt my wife and I did in Palm Beach, so you can see what a 2 tank dive onboard Narcosis yealds for us on any given weekend.

Cheers

IMG_6153.JPG

Go here and get your own spear, it is short enough you can travel with it.. Some places will let you "borrow" a spear but they are not the best taken care of and if you get an old fiberglass one you could also get some nasty splinters.

Lion Fish Killer Pole Spear | MAKO Spearguns

Ricardo - That's EXACTLY the information I was looking for. BTW - I love drift dives. Thank you.

Doby - I was actually looking at getting one of these. Any thoughts? 3 in 1 Traveler Pole Spear | MAKO Spearguns

You can go with the 3 in 1 if you plan to do more than lionfish, but if your main goal is lionfish, I would stick with the one I linked you to. With the 3 in 1 you would at the very least have to buy another "lionfish" band and they recommend their "lionfish" tip too. As cheap as they are, I would go with the dedicated lionfish package and get something larger on down the road..

You can go with the 3 in 1 if you plan to do more than lionfish, but if your main goal is lionfish, I would stick with the one I linked you to. With the 3 in 1 you would at the very least have to buy another "lionfish" band and they recommend their "lionfish" tip too. As cheap as they are, I would go with the dedicated lionfish package and get something larger on down the road..

You're correct. The $40 pole goes to about $55 to adjust for lionfish. I doubt I will get into other spear fishing, but I do like the having a second length. I will need to think about it. Thank you for pointing out yours is already set with the tip and short band.

Snoweman,
Happy to assist. Keep in mind that no license required so long that:
Hunting of Lionfish is done recreationally, not commercially.
Diver uses a spearing device designed for Lionfish.
Hunting is not within a sanctuary such as the FL Keys.

I'm going to try inserting a hyperlink for you here: Saltwater Fishing Regulations

One last suggestion. The tip you use is very critical. The ones shown above are in my personal experience and my personal opinion, a bit too aggressive. Once you poke a lionfish with it, it won't come off. Then you have another thing to worry about at 80 feet, other than remaining PSI, current, divetime, where's my buddy, how to catch another lionfish, etc.etc.

You don't have to spend much on a good polespear, but wait till you are in the area, go to a dive shop and pick one you like after hearing from local folks that work there, that hunt lionfish all the time.

If you really really really want to get into it, I would recommend getting a Lionfish Slayer. It's made of stainless steal, it's in my personal opinion and experience, the best lionfish polespear money can buy. It's not cheap, but it is great.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom