Liquivision Lynx Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An air integrated top end DiveComputer, is around $1300, now to buy a Desert star sports tracker is $950(case,receiver and transmitter), so if this unit's pinger for marking the boat is reasonable like$400/500 it has a potentially good market.
I think its looks easy to read the direction then with the Desert Star and then the only issue is range of the Lynx(which the DS has a strong signal for range). So if a boat marking pinger was more powerful the one on the 1st stages maybe it will be useful.

To be honest, I am not huge fan of air integration, a spg has less to wrong with it, really it's only beneficial for records on your log(not good if your pro and going under 50 bar regularly to show that to new employers)- but this unit has broadened that to something more with being able to monitor a nooby learners air to head off a OOA tragedy, thats pretty special for a dive op, saves grabbing their gauges all the time!

It will be interesting to see how it goes, multiple units for a dive instructor service- one would imagine would attract some kind of price discount.

Certainly it's a capability increase to the dive scene, I hope it works out for them, for their innovation.....Good luck! I like the concept...

You could put a lill game on it too, for the interval wait! puck man maybe! or a smartphone app!

Yes, but we never guide more than 4 divers here, 2 more often than not, and many divers have their own regs without transmitters. Should one install the dive shop's transmitters on the customers' first stages?

Most beginners(what it would be most useful for!) don't have any gear, lucky if they have mask and fins.....

Thanks for the review, ordered mine last week. Can't wait to try it out.

800 bar? !

800 bar is a pretty impressive tank pressure. The Lynx only works to 350 bar. Do you mean 800 psi?

I was diving with Matt ("Blue Guppy") the other day. I have been testing these units since January and have been real impressed. For the dives last weekend we were primarily interested in testing the communications over longer distances and around obstacles so we weren't playing with the locator function. It is working well though and may be part of the first release.

The locator function, which shows a radar map, will give you both direction and distance to target. With successive data bursts from the transmitters the direction and distance estimates improve. I have been able to find the transmitter every time in pretty low vis. This time of year our quarry has about 10' vis above 30' and about 20'-30' vis below 30' (at least until the OW students arrive :) )

I took this screen shot from the PC simulator (not the actual Lynx unit) but is the same:

View attachment 153568

The blue arrow is pointing North. Gas for both me and my buddy is at 800 BAR. Scale for the map is 0-250m. Buddy is about 270 degrees (in the white zone).

I'm going back out this weekend with a new build. Happy to answer any questions people have. Might be able to take and post some video too.

Brian

Hi,
I am interesting in this new computer with air integration too because of its OLED as well as MAC compatitable software. Currently I am using Galileo Tuna.
When I compare the spec of Xeo / X1 / Lynx, all of them mentioned a function "Dive Planner".
May I have your help to capture a screen shot of this "Dive Planner" which I cannot found from Liquivision site.
I have a chance seeing X1 Dive Planner from my friend which showing each level of stop and time as well as Gas % as a table format like those desktop dive planner. Will this also show in Xeo or Lynx.
Thanks for help.

jy:
Hi,
I am interesting in this new computer with air integration too because of its OLED as well as MAC compatitable software. Currently I am using Galileo Tuna.
When I compare the spec of Xeo / X1 / Lynx, all of them mentioned a function "Dive Planner".
May I have your help to capture a screen shot of this "Dive Planner" which I cannot found from Liquivision site.
I have a chance seeing X1 Dive Planner from my friend which showing each level of stop and time as well as Gas % as a table format like those desktop dive planner. Will this also show in Xeo or Lynx.
Thanks for help.

The dive planning features are a bit different across the units.
The Xeo gives you the most control over your dive plan. In the Xeo manual, read the whole Dive Setup section (PG 21) and specifically the "Runtime" section (PG 22) which allows you to set up the waypoints (depth and time at that depth, or depth and gas switch at that depth) in your dive and get a dive plan.
XEO Manual: http://www.liquivision.com/docs/Xeo_User_Manual.pdf

The Kaon/Lynx offer different levels of dive planning depending on the mode you select. If you select "Rec" mode, you can only use one gas and no gas switches are possible. In Rec mode, the only real dive planning is computing your NDL. The "Computer NDL" feature (PG 35) will tell you the duration of your NDL on your next dive taking into account your current saturation. If you select "Tec" mode, you will also have the "Runtime" feature, similar to the one in the Xeo (PG 36)
LYNX Manual: http://www.liquivision.com/docs/Lynx_User_Manual.pdf

I hope this helps.
Margaret Malewski

The dive planning features are a bit different across the units.
The Xeo gives you the most control over your dive plan. In the Xeo manual, read the whole Dive Setup section (PG 21) and specifically the "Runtime" section (PG 22) which allows you to set up the waypoints (depth and time at that depth, or depth and gas switch at that depth) in your dive and get a dive plan.
XEO Manual: http://www.liquivision.com/docs/Xeo_User_Manual.pdf

The Kaon/Lynx offer different levels of dive planning depending on the mode you select. If you select "Rec" mode, you can only use one gas and no gas switches are possible. In Rec mode, the only real dive planning is computing your NDL. The "Computer NDL" feature (PG 35) will tell you the duration of your NDL on your next dive taking into account your current saturation. If you select "Tec" mode, you will also have the "Runtime" feature, similar to the one in the Xeo (PG 36)
LYNX Manual: http://www.liquivision.com/docs/Lynx_User_Manual.pdf

I hope this helps.
Margaret Malewski

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom