List of basic gear for a diving noob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try before you buy. Some people love splits, some hate them. I hate them to the extent id probably quit diving if they were the only thing around.
Anti fog spray ($5)

Waste of time, use spit.

Sea Elite dry snorkel ($17)

I wouldnt buy one at all but if you insist on a snorkel get the cheapest one possibly with no fancy extras.

In order to get free shipping, I might get a diving knife ($12).

Not essential at this stage. Do some diving first then decide if you want a knife, what sort of knife or if you prefer shears.

To the OP.....there's a pair of Aeris Duo Velocity fins for $40 + $10 shipping on the 'Gear For-sale' sight @ Scubatoys' forum(I think), size M/L....great split fins @ a great price( that size will fit a man's about 8.5 to 9.5 shoe size)......Get them if possible.......I have had a pair for about a year(~100 dives) and my wife JUST ORDERED her a pair about 2 weeks ago in that size---dang it, was a little too quick in ordering......lol

Last edited:
wow.......find what you were looking for, Tom?

Haha, yeah I think so, although it's been interesting watching this thread lol.

I found what seems to be a pretty sweet deal:
Mares X Vision (a professor at my school let me try his on and they fit well)
Shadow semidry snorkel (it was the cheapest option in this package)
Oceanic V16s
Edge zippered 5mm boots
One basic cheap mouthpiece and one slightly nicer (still only $6), as required by the dive shop
All that is $205, and I'm thinking seriously about getting a wetsuit. I'm going to be doing mostly warm weather diving, and would prefer to have my own personal wetsuit, even if it is somewhat shoddy until I figure out how big of a role diving is going to play in my life. They have both an Edge 3/2mm full suit and a Sea Elite 3/2mm "jumpsuit" for $50. They also have a Sea Elite shorty 3/2mm suit for $40. The price difference is negligible between these, so which do you think would work better for me doing essentially only warm water diving? What is the difference?

All I have left to do is to call them and find their return for sizing issues policy and see a little bit of everyone's thoughts here with regards to this package. Thoughts?

And thanks for all the help and ideas so far (and sorry for stirring up a hornets' nest lol ).

Tom

Tom......no worries, you didn't stir up anything. I'm new to this as well so I can't comment further on your gear questions. I was reading this thread because I had the same questions as you. The only experience I have is the 82 degree Caribbean sea. I dove in shorts and a rash guard and never felt uncomfortable. Of course that may be different with different folks and that set-up won't protect you should you have a run-in with the reef and/or other assorted sea beasties. All the other folks I dove with were wearing either 3-7mm wetsuits, and that made me feel a tad underdressed for the occasion and a bit vulnerable as well.

I'll defer to those more experienced than me now..........
mike.

Ive got the IST talaria fins and i reckon they are the beez neez, love 'em. Get them.

i bought the sea elite 3mill jumpsuit and shorty at divers supply for 60 dollars,very nice wetsuit for the money and alot warmer than my old ratty 3mill I have been using.

I'd probably get the MARES PLANA AVANTI X3 FIN instead of the split fins.

Yes. These fins are good, and a great value.

Can you try gear before you buy? Return it if you don't like? Our local instructor provides all gear as "loaner" equipment so students get to try a lot of masks and fins. Many dive stores don't offer that advantage. Buy it, try it, and then it is USED, and they won't take is back.

Something to ask about during the purchase process.

Have fun with it,

Stu.

We have people come into our Dive Center to check out equipment and then want to comparison price shop all the time. It's pretty much become the standard way of doing business anymore. The way we handle it is to not only let them go for it, we even assist them! They can either use their own laptop, or use one of ours. If they do find the me article at the site of another authorized dealer - our best price guarantee states that we will match it. This way, we get the sale, and the customer is happy they got the most bang for their buck. Also, by seeing one piece of gear online, they generally see others, and what would have been a 1 item sale now turns into a multiple sale. Plus store staff is there to help steer the customer away from "Grey Sites"
I always suggest to anyone on this site to shop their LDS and give them first crack at your business. They are local, and they are there for you. Most LDS have the capability to do like we do above. As far as I'm concerned, even if they can't match price exactly, you should still buy from them. Service should count for way more than a few bucks.
As far as equipment purchases go for someone taking their first OW class - most Dive Centers require they purchase Mask, Snorkel, booties, and Fins. There are many variations to this, but these items are always included. One of the best ways to make sure the equipment fits is to have samples for the students to try out in the pool. We all know that the mask that fits perfect in the showroom can leak like a sieve in the water. Happens all the time. Trying the mask in the pool lessens the prospect of someone having to return a new mask that can now no longer be sold as new.
Simple snorkels that can be easily removed from the mask and stowed away seem to sell best here.
Fins again are try before you buy. There are so many variables that this approach as with the masks seems to eliminate many returns and/or dissatisfied customers.
As for these "sacrificial" demo pieces of gear - they can always be sold at a scuba flea market, thus the Dive Center looses nothing.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT 33859
Prime Scuba

Hey everyone,

My name is Tom and I'm planning on doing my PADI open water training locally this month and then do my cert dives in the Carribbean later in August. The shop I'm getting trained at requires regulator mouthpieces, fins, a snorkel, mask, boots, and here's what I'm thinking of getting from divers-supply.com:
IST Talaria split fins ($90)
Edge 6mm zippered boots ($20)
2 random, cheap mouthpieces ($10-15 total)
Anti fog spray ($5)

Those things I'm pretty sure of, and as far as a snorkel, I'm thinking:
Sea Elite dry snorkel ($17)
In order to get free shipping, I might get a diving knife ($12).

I'm going to get the mask at the local shop to ensure good fit, but does this list seem reasonable? I think my biggest question/concern is about the snorkel. There are so many choices, so is this one decent? If not, what would be recommended for around$20-30? Thanks so much, and I look forward to contributing to the community once I get started. Thanks,

Tom

OK Tom here is my 2Psi

First off it has been beat to death, but yes your first mask should be bought from a LDS where you try it on, but you are free to try to get the to price match, etc. This is called good manors. If you like your LDS and they treat you well and will work with you, then do the honorable thing and try to buy from them. However if they are idiots, or try to screw you then by all means don't encourage them buy giving them your money.

Snorkle: go simple. you don't need a dry snorkle for SCUBA. I have several and usually take my omer-sub plain snorkle that can fold up. it works very well if I want to free dive, and if I am in the ocean I can fold it up and stuff it in a pocket in case I need it.

Split fins: I hate them and they are expensive. try them and force fins before you buy them, I hate both, both some love them. I would say your best bet is to go to leisure pro and get some Jet Fins for $60. Jets will never let you down (maybe give you a leg cramp the first dive or two though,) and are highly thought of,by serious divers. My non jet fins, ( I have two sets one for wet suit and one for Dry suit,) are Cressi Master Frogs, which are almost free diving fins. the Cressi's serverd me well for the ten years before I tried Jets, and I still use them on ocasion.

Boots: get the thick sole boots. If you ever do shore dives you will be glad you did. the thin sole are ok if you are boat diving but thats it. Also make sure you have a zipper on them! it makes life much easier.

Anti-fog: used them, it works ok... I went to J&J baby shampoo. and find that it works better. The key thing is mask prep. use PASTE toothpaste (cheap stuff is fine,) and scrub the heck out of the inside of the mask. do this for 3-5 minutes per lens per night for 3 nights. then rinse out and put a light coating of J&J baby shampoo on and let it dry. you will be good to go for your first dive.

Mouth Piece: yup I am with every one else, and don't under stand this one. you might spray on some mint listeren ( generic of course,) to disinfect it but really if they are that worried about there rental gear and germs, I would hate to see the wet suits.

Back
Top Bottom