Little Cayman or Virgin Gorda?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judypots

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I recently returned from Turneffe Island off Belize and we want to plan our next trip - probably early December. We've been to Bonaire and would go back again, but we're pretty new to diving and want to check out some different spots. Little Cayman Beach Resort has been recommended to us. We're also looking at Virgin Gorda - Little Dix Bay or Biras Creek. I know the Virgin Gorda resorts are higher end, but which place has the better diving (gorgeous coral, varied and abundant marine life)? Thanks much.

Judy

When are you traveling? I have been to both and LOVED both... Cayman Brac/Little Cayman is what I would choose... I got certified in Virgin Gorda!

We're thinking about going the first week of December. Did you stay at any of the places I mentioned? Thanks.

Thanks very much for your input. I did read your trip report on Little Cayman Beach Resort and I think that is where we will probably head. We just got back from Turneffe Island Resort and enjoyed the trip tremendously. The dive program is excellent - also valet diving. We saw turtles, eagle rays and eels on every dive. Also saw squid, toadfish, puffer fish, a lion fish (!) - the other boat saw hammerhead sharks. We saw black tipped reef sharks at the Blue Hole after swimming among the stalactites at 130 ft. Enjoy.

Judy

We are pumped and ready to go!

You'll love LCBR. Great diving, food, resort, and people. One more thing. When we went to Little Cayman, we booked the flight from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman way ahead of time. Only Cayman Air flies there on the twin otters. So be sure to get that booked. It only holds 19 people I think it is. There are so many options getting into Grand Cayman but only one option into LC. The afternoon flights into LC will fill up fast and that's what travelers want because the flights into GC from the states will get in around the 11:20 to 1:00 time frame.

BDSC

Little Cayman (Little Cayman Beach Resort) is what I would choose. Great overall diving and very good accommodations and food. The crews on the boats are the best I have been with and not a lemon in the bunch. The docks are wide, easy to get your gear out, rinse and store it. Everything is well maintained, clean and bright. All that would not be enough if the diving wasn't any good, but fortunately it is really good. Lots of critters, large and small, bright coral, and plenty of topographical variety. So far it is the only place I consider returning to vs trying out something new. A great place to take new divers, unless you are worried about them getting spoiled by the red carpet treatment.

The one downside of Little Cayman is that there are not too many great non-diving things to do. You can rent scooters and tour the island, feed the iguana, etc., but there are not waterfalls, hikes to boiling lakes (Dominica), ancient ruins, etc. But if you like to fish, fly kites, nap in a hammock, or walk on the beach, it is just fine.

After reading all these reviews, I tried booking the LCBR and the dates were not available! Drat!

Thanks to all of you for reviewing the resort, I will definitely be booking there next year. My husband and I decided last minute to go away for our anniversary and it is VERY difficult to find a dive resort. We went to Negril Jamaica last year; really enjoyed the resort-diving was beautiful but not a whole lot of marine life to see.

Try the Southern Cross Club. My wife and I went there last summer. It was fantastic. We went down to LCBR to check the place out and were very happy we went to SCC instead.

There is nothing wrong with LCBR, but we really liked the quieter Southern Cross Club.

We were there in mid July and while there were rarely rooms available at the club, the dive boats usually ran with 6- 8 people max. It was very relaxing and enjoyable.

Wherever you end up, have a great trip!

I did the cayman island this summer with the agressor fleet. It is TOTALLY amazing, water super clear and warm in the summer time, diving without a wetsuit was perfect for 5 dives a day. the bloody bay wall is priceless. rusian destroyer in cayman brac is a must see. try stingray city and the tunel dive in grand cayman. did 30 dives and totally awsome. we did not get the chance to see the hamerhead but you don't see many sharks in the cayman, only 3 in 30 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom