Little Cayman Resort recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, all's well that ends well. Landed on LC at 7:40...at Southern Cross 15 min later. Unpacked my gear in the parking lot and jumped on the boat which they held for me...only delayed the 8:00 two-tank departure by five mins. And did afternoon dive too.

And best of all I was "ambush" surprised by my best friends who snuck down here at the last minute without telling me. Epic day!

For the OP, there have been a few "Cautionary Tales" about the potential glitches in flying into LC. Unless you are hard set on LC, have you considered Cayman Brac?

I flew to Cayman Brac in late November 2022 and the connection was through MIA direct to Brac. The Cayman Airways flight was a B737, so none of the worries of whether there is room on the Twin Otter (or as it is affectionately known in the RCAF: the "Twotter"). Brac has a longer runway that LC, so it can accommodate larger acft.

That might take some of the pressure off the challenges of the connections through Grand Cayman to Little Cayman.

Just a thought.

I miss Island Air. Even (or especially) flying on the even smaller planes, sitting by both a crate of eggs and a cage of chickens. You got there.

They apparently still fly charter to a bunch of places, but not within Cayman. Does the government not want competition or what?

I hate to think about saying this without jinxing myself for the future, but I must be the one guy that has never had any issues with Cayman Air. We have had a few times where they were delayed and a few times where there was some confusion about a flight change from direct LC-GC to LC-CB-GC. But otherwise, nothing but good things to say about them. For those lamenting the Otter service from Cayman Air, KathyV posted an article on the Cayman subforum back in December that the government was moving forward with plans to buy a third Twin Otter to help address shortcomings in the service to LC. Many of the recent issues came about because they only had two twin otters available and sent one at a time to Canada for maintenance during the low season. So during low season, if the other one went down, they had no way to get people to and from LC. During the rest of the year, being down one bird meant they could not service all of the scheduled flights. With a third plane available (hopefully soon), it should minimize some, if not most of those issues.

Just posted...though as a noob I don't know how to put a link here to the posting...search for "Little Cayman Feb 2023".
There are a couple ways to do it.
To post a link, highlight the part you put in Quotation marks and click on the
1677988642311.png
in the editing toolbar and insert the url in the menu that pops up.

Either that, or just copy the url and paste it into your post and it will give you the link.

There are a couple ways to do it.
To post a link, highlight the part you put in Quotation marks and click on the
1677988642311.png
in the editing toolbar and insert the url in the menu that pops up.

Either that, or just copy the url and paste it into your post and it will give you the link.
Cool...much appreciated; many thanks!

@gratefulmjc Thank you for your write-up. We are planning to go to SCC in 2024 and stay in Bungalow 10. Your report helps to validate our decision and to plan ahead for the adventure of getting there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom