Little Cayman Water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are leaving shortly for Little Cayman and with weight restrictions don't want to drag along any more rubber than we need to. Does anyone know what the water temp has been for the last couple of weeks?

My son and I were on Little Cayman July 3-10. Water temps were 83 degees minimum on every dive. I wore a 3mm, my son also wore a hooded vest on the night dives as he is more prone to getting cold. All dives were an hour or more, no current to work against.

Have a great trip,

Craig

The water temps are probably close to peak right now, at 85-86F, with the "last foot" surface temp probably being closer to 88F in the afternoons.

You can get a live feed on water temperature conditions from the Little Cayman Research Center's weather station, at this URL:

NDBC - Station LCIY2

You can also check out the weather topside at Cayman Brac's airport here:

Cayman Brac Weather

This latter link shows that the current heat index is 113F (ouch!).

-hh

ronski101,

On our non-diving Friday afternoon before leaving, we toured the Little Cayman Research Centre and the iguana preservation program, both were very interesting. The NOAA buoy is right off the Marine Institute facility. They have a website CCMI

Both these tours were arranged by LCBR, we were picked up and dropped off there.

Good diving, Craig

made two dives today at Jackson Bay and my puta said 86 all the way down to 100 feet.... can't get much warmer than this... it is great.... saw a big gray reef shark at Mixing Bowl too......

and as a PS both tropical systems now in the area have gone away from the Cayman's the seas have been very nice, not smooth, but easily rideable..... even on the Southern sides....

made two dives today at Jackson Bay and my puta said 86 all the way down to 100 feet.... can't get much warmer than this... it is great.... saw a big gray reef shark at Mixing Bowl too......

Are you staying at Little or Brac?

we are on Cayman Brac this year at Brac Beach, brought a small group of 10 down for fun, sun, and diving and we are getting plenty of all three... it has been great.....

Sounds like you are having a great time. We will be back on LC in December.

For everyones information, the temp varied from 85-88 all last week. Warmest we have ever seen and no I am not promoting global warming. Two other observations were sharks on at least one of the daily 3 dives and most dive sites now have friendly Nasseau Groupers not just the one or two sites as in the past. Both sharks and groupers may have something to do with the DM's killing and feeding the lionfish to groupers and in one case a lucky shark that had good timing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom