Little girls and makeup

Am I an old fuddy duddy?

• Yes, get with it.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • No more than I am.

Votes: 104 86.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know they actually have PADDED bras for kids???

Well, I am not surprised. Basically, you can assume they will emulate us.

As far as thongs. You people seem a little squeamish. Maybe they are very comfortable? Men/boys wear athletic cups that go the same place. I don't "sexualize" children but I don't see this the same way...unless the thong has feathers and rhinestones on it.

Thongs are here to stay. Maybe strippers started the trend, but half the women out there are wearing them, for those of you that don't get out much. No panty lines, more comfortable, they don't show...so if a ten year old likes that style, why does it have to be some raunchy thing? This is one of those "in the beholder" things. You bring your associations to the situation, but half the pre-teen girls out there are wearing them. They shouldn't have to wear granny pants under their riding jodpurs or bike shorts or dancewear just so you all won't thing they are promiscuous. Seriously, its a practical clothing item and its not going anywhere...

This sounds like what the anti-bikini crowd probably said when that first hit the scene. I saw burkinis last night on TV! For those that really want to cover up, for fear of a stoning.

I don't see it. This is an American or English old timey attitude.

Stepping in where angles fear to tread...

I think a "childhood" is a very special...and brief thing. I think it is a shame that the majority of peer pressure tends to take it away too soon. There is no going back once a child starts emulating adult looks and behavior and parents I know lament their child growing up too soon. I am not sure there is much parents can do given the bombardment on TV, internet, magazines and schoolmates.

End of serious contribution.....

Now, as an adult, I choose to wear my Aqualung neoprene thong (with optional DIR tassel) with pride!:D

Jon

I don't feel like reading this entire thread.

You have a right to tell the teacher that you don't approve and that you don't want her to do that anymore.

That being said, little girls like to play "dress-up" and that includes make-up. At the age of your daughter, it isn't to improve her looks; just to play around. I personally don't like it when they put make-up on the small girls for beauty pagents but have wonderful childhood memories of putting on make-up, my mom's high heels, and jewelry. I don't believe it damaged me in the least.

sea nmf:
...... but have wonderful childhood memories of putting on make-up, my mom's high heels, and jewelry. I don't believe it damaged me in the least.
cant tell by your avatar... youre a gal right??? :D

(and yes, im being cheeky!)

yea, Becky...girly up that turtle.

catherine96821:
I always tried to not make a big deal about the dress-up thing...girls have been doing it for years, just like boys want to play cowboy, cops and robbers. Decorating the body goes back centuries. Just my opinion, know I am alone on it usually.
Actually, Catherine brings up a great point. I would not be opposed to my daughters "dressing up" like mommy/with mommy, whatever, it is really the day to day practice of wearing makeup to make yourself feel more beautiful/make others think you are more beautiful that I struggle with.

My daughters will be playing house, and I will condone, and my boys shall be hitting each other with sticks, and I will condone. And I will help wipe off the tub of makeup on my daughter's faces, and I will help wipe off the blood off my sons' arms/legs/wherever they hit each other with sticks :) And i will be a happy father.

What I don't want is for my kids to have boyfriends/girlfriends in 7th grade. I passed a 7th grade "couple" today and I swear as I passed (they were hugging as I passed), I heard a sloppy, wet kiss. That's just wrong in the 7th grade!

[edit] just read this page.

I don't think I'd condone my daughers wearing padded bras,unless I let the guys stick potatoes in their tighty whiteys. You have to be fair. If I'd let one sex "lie" to the other about their assets, I have to let the other. Other than that, thongs, whatever, I don't care what they wear as long as they aren't letting others see it!

I actually won a book on raising teenagers when I was 13 on a local radio show. Go figure. I'm 17 and I'm already telling scubaboard how I'll raise my kids.

tonka97:
Attention non-intentional thread hijackers:

The OP issue was a 2 year old toddler, coming home with daycare applied makeup, without parental approval.

I mentioned that childcare providers require parental consent for something as minor as sunscreen, provided by the parent. I did not intend to hijack, but was attempting to show the mixed message demonstrated in the initial thread. If sunscreen and diaper rash cream require consent, so should anything else applied to the skin. I'm also in agreement with those that point out that make-up shouldn't be shared. In other words - No Fuddy-Duddy-ism implied!

(That being said - I wear makeup about 4x per year, when I sing with a chorus and would look ghostly on stage without it. I'm still using the same blush I bought in highschool, 25+ years ago. It's a wonder I'm still alive....) :wink:

catherine96821:
As far as thongs. You people seem a little squeamish. Maybe they are very comfortable? Men/boys wear athletic cups that go the same place. I don't "sexualize" children but I don't see this the same way...unless the thong has feathers and rhinestones on it.

Catherine,
To equate a thong with a protective athletic cup?

A thong is designed to sexually entice; the protective cup is designed to protect the groin from crushing injuries.

I will go a looooooooooooog way with your reasoning but that is really the long way around!:coffee:

Perhaps we have become numb to the sexualization of toddlers and children. Here is a thought experiment:

Imagine the scene: Newborne female infants in a neo-natal facility...birth to 2 weeks old. The staff decides that the little darlings would look cute in thongs, lipstick, eye shadow, rouge, and mascara. Maybe cute little padded bras would make the babys' day. Can you see that image? Makes sense? Sound like a good time?

The new born boys could be provided with a checkbook, faux legal degrees, and credit cards to make them look oh so cute and attractive. Maybe a dark blush for imitation beard. They all want to look like the Pitt, after all!

Suggest WAKING UP!!

:coffee:

We have our children and along with that we have hopes, dreams, and desires for them. Our ideals are not always met, far from it. Our threats are not always followed through, i.e, "I dare someone to...". All we can really do is offer patience, love, and live a morally good life for our children to emulate. Communication with our children is the most important.

The girl who is banned from wearing make-up is going to. Wether you like it or not. Yes, she will be the one in the bathroom washing it off before heading home. Believe it.

Remember those kids you went to school with?? Remember, the ones stuffing their bras or pants, or whatever? Those are your kids now. Remember the ones that hid everything from their parents? Trying to make the outside world right in your mind, is an awfully big mountain to climb in just a few short years.

It is all communicating to your child your values. Not attacking the teachers and others.

Oh and I wear thongs and don't see a darn thing sexual about them. They are a functional clothing item. Now just like granny panties, I could go buy some fancy ones... :mooner:

Missdirected:
Now just like granny panties, I could go buy some fancy ones... :mooner:

oh there goes my day...

(not to mention my breakfast)

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom