Liveaboard advice Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice!

Does anyone have experience with the Samambaia liveaboard? It seems to have great value for money, but there are barely any reviews.
Hiya
We did Komodo/Flores in Sept 2017 onboard the Samambaia and had a great time onboard.

The boat is fantastic; lots of room especially when kitting up, crew were a great bunch and the owner was on board and was great company.

We’ve stuck mainly to the Maldives but last year thought we’d try somewhere else but main need was for a liveaboard that didn’t have 20+ divers; the boats we’ve used in the Maldives had 12max divers and we wanted something similar and the Samambaia ticked all the boxes - so much so that the boats on the agenda for 2019 (2018 dive trips already booked) on a R4 trip.

Book it up if you haven’t already done so and enjoy the bubbles....

I booked the Samambaia for nov 2018, thanks for the help!
It's still a long wait, but I'm already excited to experience my first independent liveaboard and phinisi!

Hiya
Good to hear you booked the Samambaia, you won’t be disappointed
There isn’t lots of reviews on the boat but that due to it being a realitvley new but on the reviews there are they are all very positive.

If you have any Q’s and email the Samambaia the owners (Gian Paolo) wife (Anita) is very prompt in getting back to you & Also check them out on Facebook.

November will come around soon enough; remember good things come to those who wait - I have to tell myself that everyday as we’ve our 1st safari coming up in November and I’m so very excited; we fly out to the Maldives tomorrow but I’m more excited for our ‘safari’ in November (is that bad?? Lol) but the possibilities/opportunities of being amazed on land by the ‘wonders of the wolrd’ rather than below the surface is so very exciting.

Enjoy the bubbles....
Vicky

VKE, what's the food like please? Unfortunately, my taste buds refuse to acclimate to Indonesian cuisine.

VKE, what's the food like please? Unfortunately, my taste buds refuse to acclimate to Indonesian cuisine.

Food was a mixture of Italian due to the owner being an Italian and Indonesian; the chef is very accommodating. Lunch and dinner was always a three course meal and for me personally it was too much.
We love spice and once the chef knew some of us liked extra spice he did some additional ‘hot’ sauces for us but he also catered very well for those who didn’t like too much spice.
My concern was fish; I just don’t eat it but they knew in advance and catered well for me.

Some of us didn’t eat lots and we did ask for smaller portions but that ‘fell in deaf ears’ so we didn’t eat every course all of the time and I think the owner noticed and asked what we’d like so we asked for more Indonesian curry’s and for our group that was much appreciated.

Trust me you won’t go hungry but what I always do on liveaboards is make friends with the chef and it’s always worked in my favour

Enjoy the bubbles....
Vicky

Food was a mixture of Italian due to the owner being an Italian and Indonesian; the chef is very accommodating. Lunch and dinner was always a three course meal and for me personally it was too much.
We love spice and once the chef knew some of us liked extra spice he did some additional ‘hot’ sauces for us but he also catered very well for those who didn’t like too much spice.
My concern was fish; I just don’t eat it but they knew in advance and catered well for me.

Some of us didn’t eat lots and we did ask for smaller portions but that ‘fell in deaf ears’ so we didn’t eat every course all of the time and I think the owner noticed and asked what we’d like so we asked for more Indonesian curry’s and for our group that was much appreciated.

Trust me you won’t go hungry but what I always do on liveaboards is make friends with the chef and it’s always worked in my favour

Enjoy the bubbles....
Vicky

Thanks Vicky. I don't like to eat fish on dive trips either. :)

As for curry, count me out completely!! LOL

And I rarely eat all that is provided on any lob. So much food! That's why my preference for an lob is a variety that I can pick through, or should that say, be picky about. Ha

@VKE - thanks for answering @chillyinCanada so thoroughly. I had the same questions/concerns. Samambaia looks fantastic but don't see many reviews, I went with Diviacs recommendation. My wife is a very picky eater (no fish or spice!) and Jan 2019 will be our 1st trip to Indo so counting the days.

Can I ask when you went on La Galigo? I read that they were going to be working on it on dry dock in May of 2017 so interested if you were on it before or after that.

After. @02gluken with 11 other divers and I chartered the boat in November 2017. No one complained about the diesel smell that I know of.

Can I ask when you went on La Galigo? I read that they were going to be working on it on dry dock in May of 2017 so interested if you were on it before or after that.
As said before, we just came back from a Liveaboard with the AMBAI. Food was excellent, the team on the boat was very professional. The cabins are not that big but comfortable and the showers are working very well with strong water pressure . Enough space for the diving equipment.
Sure recommend it.

Thanks.

Also check their past trips. How much experience they have under their belt on that particular Ring of Fire trips. Don’t be a guinea pig like me. :(

This may sound controversial since many have done it without issues. I personally think doing a Banda sea trip on a single engine phinisi boat is a bad idea. Raja Ampat and Komodo may be ok but not in the Banda sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom