Liveaboard advice Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep hammerhead :D
I am looking at Mermaid and Ambai, both do late sept 2019 at ring of fire, but both are quite pricey:fear::fear::fear:...likely will decide whether to book by end of this month.

Another point to consider is safety issue.

In Raja Ampat, the sea is usually flat like in a lake since it is surrounded by islands to protect from the elements. Phinisi boat is fine to sail on a lake-like seas. The Ring of Fire, especially from Manuk to Banda is in a deep trench (see the deep blue sea in Google Earth). So, you need to have a sturdy boat to get out of dodge, when a storm is coming. My first attempt to sail from Ambon to Banda with phinisi boat failed miserably due to the small single engine (350 HP). When the engine dies, you will be floating like a cork. See my trip report: Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 Ambon - Sorong Crossing Trip Report

Blue Manta has huge twin engines (2 x 826 HP), almost twice the power of Mermaid I (2 x 450 HP). Even the boat is about 50% longer (45m) than Mermaid I (28m).

Another point to consider is safety issue.

In Raja Ampat, the sea is usually flat like in a lake since it is surrounded by islands to protect from the elements. Phinisi boat is fine to sail on a lake-like seas. The Ring of Fire, especially from Manuk to Banda is in a deep trench (see the deep blue sea in Google Earth). So, you need to have a sturdy boat to get out of dodge, when a storm is coming. My first attempt to sail from Ambon to Banda with phinisi boat failed miserably due to the small single engine (350 HP). When the engine dies, you will be floating like a cork. See my trip report: Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 Ambon - Sorong Crossing Trip Report

Blue Manta has huge twin engines (2 x 826 HP), almost twice the power of Mermaid I (2 x 450 HP). Even the boat is about 50% longer (45m) than Mermaid I (28m).
Thanks for head-up. Will check the boat spec before booking.

Nice trip report. Losing engine in a storm is quite serious, glad that the captain managed to turn the boat.

Thanks for head-up. Will check the boat spec before booking.

Nice trip report. Losing engine in a storm is quite serious, glad that the captain managed to turn the boat.

Thanks.

Also check their past trips. How much experience they have under their belt on that particular Ring of Fire trips. Don’t be a guinea pig like me. :(

I will do a trip report when we get back. If it is half as good as we hope we may take those 2 extra spots. Bi!!

I will do a trip report when we get back. If it is half as good as we hope we may take those 2 extra spots. Bi!!

Super!

It’ll definitely be more than half as good. I’ve been in Raja Ampat 6 times. It’s the best place to dive than in any other places I have been diving. It’s better than Galápagos, Palau, Red Sea, GBR and any where else in Indonesia (Ambon, Alor, Komodo, Bali, Lembeh, Bunaken, East Kalimantan, Wakatobi). IMHO

I’ve never been on the Ring of Fire route, especially Banda. When I see the schooling hammerheads then, like the guy at the beginning of the video, below, the rest of the trip would be icing on the cake. :D So, I’m looking forward to the trip.

I’m not sure those cabins would still be available after you get back from your trip though. To date (20 months away), 3 cabins are already booked, according to Max Hand, the Operations Manager of White Manta Diving. I try to book 3 good cabin spaces before they are booked by someone else.

Cheers,
Dan

I have done the Arenui, Ambai, and La Galgio. I would have to rank them in that order.As you said, Arenui is little pricy, but the Dive crew, guides, runabouts, food, accomodations justify the addtl cost if in the budget. The Ambai is good solid second again good crew, dive guides. Rooms smaller, menu hard to rate because part of supplies were held up by customs and had to leave without. Would definitely dive again. La Gagilio is ok needs some up grading.

I have been talking with them thru email and plan to visit with them at DEMA this year. You are right as there is not a lot of reports about them but the ones that are out there have been really good. They recently joined ScubaBoard and have posted a few times on here.

I am looking to book an entire liveaboard to Raja Ampat for a future trip and they are very high on my list right now. Really great value assuming the boat and crew are as nice as they appear.

Hello,
I don't know the

Hello,

I'm trying to decide which liveaboard to choose, probably for October/november 2018 (I know, still a long time away). I would like to include Misool Area in the trip. Is the weather ok around this time? Many liveaboards seem to focus on Raja Ampat in December.

Some liveaboards I've been looking at:
Raja Ampat Agressor
MV Putri Papua
MV Raja Ampat Explorer
MV Temukira
Pearl of Papua

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Hello

I just come back from Raja Ampat and I went on a dive cruise on the MV Ambai.
Please see hereunder my review :

Raja Ampat has a well deserved reputation as a diving paradise. Very healthy reefs and plenty to see .

Went on the MV Ambai for a diving cruise to Raja Ampat from 31 March to 11 April 2018.

Fantastic memories of very nice dives with experienced dive guides. Liina and her team were very professional, attentive and very friendly.

In addition, they organise excursions on land and one evening a BBQ on the beach.

The MV Ambai is a very well designed boat for diving. Can accommodate 16 divers. Comfortable cabins with spacious shower delivering warm water with more than enough pressure, nice relaxing space on the deck and a dining room with 4 tables.

Big area at the back foreseen for the tanks so that each diver is comfortable preparing before each dive. Also a camera room with many international electricity plugs.

We opted for the 11 days cruise, departing from Sorong, visiting Misool, central Raja Ampat, the Dampier Strait and North Raja Ampat up to Wayag.

The crew chose very well the diving sites and favoured the best ones. To name a few : Boo Windows, Melissa’s Garden, Cape Kri, Blue Magic, Manta Sandy, Arborek, …etc. There was a very good balance between sites more suitable for macro and sites good for wide angle.

The food was definitely above average for a liveaboard, cleverly mixing Western and Asian cuisine + they have a coffee machine delivering excellent coffee (which is important for some divers).

I recommend the MV Ambai to divers who want to see Raja Ampat. I may bring my family and friends back for a second time.

Has anyone ever been on Calico Jacks? Any insight?

I have done the Arenui, Ambai, and La Galgio. I would have to rank them in that order.As you said, Arenui is little pricy, but the Dive crew, guides, runabouts, food, accomodations justify the addtl cost if in the budget. The Ambai is good solid second again good crew, dive guides. Rooms smaller, menu hard to rate because part of supplies were held up by customs and had to leave without. Would definitely dive again. La Gagilio is ok needs some up grading.
Can I ask when you went on La Galigo? I read that they were going to be working on it on dry dock in May of 2017 so interested if you were on it before or after that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom