Liveaboard advice Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I know, the price is ridiculous though. $6500 for a single person for 10 days, even without transfer. For that price I can choose a very luxury liveaboard. No thank you.

Last edited:
Very nice!

Does anyone have experience with the Samambaia liveaboard? It seems to have great value for money, but there are barely any reviews.

I have been talking with them thru email and plan to visit with them at DEMA this year. You are right as there is not a lot of reports about them but the ones that are out there have been really good. They recently joined ScubaBoard and have posted a few times on here.

I am looking to book an entire liveaboard to Raja Ampat for a future trip and they are very high on my list right now. Really great value assuming the boat and crew are as nice as they appear.

Yes I know, the price is ridiculous though. $6500 for a single person for 10 days, even without transfer. For that price I can choose a very luxury liveaboard. No thank you.

True. I'm a hardcore liveaboard myself. But some people have can't / don't like to go on liveaboard for whatever reason. This MER is very nice. I was there on April 2013 with my girlfriend. It's truly magical!

Not sure where you are getting those numbers. The rack rate for a Water Cottage for 9 nights is $3580 (accom) + unlimited diving $1300 = just under $5K plus transfers (double occupancy, peak season).

NOT CHEAP.

Personally, I partially justify it to myself that they do spend significant monies on environmental protection for the Misool area and also for manta research.

It is somewhat like a LOB in that you can do three / four dives per day, yet still come back to land between dives.

I'm not trying to talk you into it!

- Bill

Reactions: Dan
Bill,

It looks like your numbers are for double occupancy while he was quoting single occupancy.

I booked the Samambaia for nov 2018, thanks for the help!
It's still a long wait, but I'm already excited to experience my first independent liveaboard and phinisi!

Long Wait?

I've booked the Bilikiki for 2019, the Rocio Del Mar going to the Socorros for 2019, and will be booking a Raja Liveaboard for 2020!

I'm just hoping to stay alive for the next three years.

Very nice!

Does anyone have experience with the Samambaia liveaboard? It seems to have great value for money, but there are barely any reviews.
I have been on the boat for a tour and its very nicely appointed. I also know the Cruise Director and many of the crew, all very experienced. Would be a good choice

That sounds great Mike. Unless someone at DEMA has a deal to good to pass up, my plan is to book them.

Just to update, I booked the Samambaia for February 2020. I have the entire boat. There are a lot of good boats out there for sure but their DEMA deal was too good to pass up. I also got a chance to speak with the owner several times while there and really liked the guy. I came away with the impression that even though they are one of the newer guys on the block, they know what they are doing. Now a long wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom