Liveaboard suggestions Caribbean/Mexico/Central America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrmdad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to do a liveaboard trip this coming January in either the Caribbean, Mexico, or Central America. Any suggestions? Also, any deals or times to buy?

Thanks,
JRMdad

I've gone on two trips with Explorer Ventures in the Caribbean and highly recommend them. Once on their Turks & Caicos itinerary and once on their Southern Bahamas itinerary (same boat). Absoluatley a top-notch operation. Check their website for specials - they regularly offer discounts of $300 to $500.

James

id check out the Turks & Caicos Aggressor
i had an amazing time on the boat great diving lots of sharks and stunning small stuff too
the crew have a simply "no problem !" answer for anything you need!!
i know people have had issues with other operations in the fleet but this one is Amazing!!!!

Of the LOB's that I have done I would have to say that the better diving was in the Turks and Caicos. I have done Explorer Ventures T&C Explorer twice and had good experiences both times. It is a nice boot, plenty of room and a great chef. I can't knock the other guys because I hav'nt done any trips with them in the Turks. If you choose the T&C itenerary with which ever company you choose, I suggest nitrox if you are not already certified for it. You can take a course on the boat.

Explorer Ventures Liveaboard Diving: Specials They update this occasionally. Also sign up for their mailing list. Often when they offer special discounts they go fast - within a week or so. We also did T/C Explorer on a discount 3 years ago. It's a pretty nice boat and has a covered flying bridge in addition to the sundeck for pleasant surface intervals. With thanks to Mike Southard: Saudio's Trip Reports - we saw everything but the Dolphins.

Price both Explorer and Aggressor. Each bundles/adds fees differently. I saved about three hundred dollars on Explorer - others seem to think Aggressor is the better deal with Nitrox - IDK. I do know that the cabins (except the four lower ones) on Explorer are all main deck or above and have beds - not bunks. And real windows, not portholes. Stan the cook is legendary but most long-term LOB chefs are.

Great. Thanks for the info. I think we are leaning towards either Turks & Caicos or Belize. Will sign up for news letters for all of the companies.

Hi jrmdad,

While you are checking everyone out don't forget about us on Roatan. If you want something different where you will be diving with just your group, we offer private diving & sailing liveaboard charters, minimum 2 divers, maximum 4 for the ultimate in small group, customized itinerary diving on a luxury yacht. All our trips are totally all-inclusive and we take our guests to the areas and dive sites where very few people dive, for the most pristine reefs the Bay Islands have to offer. Have a look at our website Zeppelin Dive & Sail | Roatan Live Aboard Sailing & Diving Charters for more info & check us out on TripAdvisor & Facebook. Feel free to email me directly at zeppelinsail@gmail.com with any questions.

January is in season for the Socorros on the West Coast of Mexico. That itinerary will beat anything the Caribbean has to offer.

+1 ^ - seriously - that's the best idea - I didn't pick up on "January" earlier. Check out Solmar V or Rocio Del Mar. Unless you don't want to dive with 10 different species of Shark, Mantas, Whales, Sea Lions etc. Solmar has video of all their recent trips on Youtube. Link is the current video on their webpage.

I believe the Turks and Belize Agg/dancer boats go to silver banks from January to April for the whales. No diving, just snorkeling. I hear its pretty amazing though. It's on my bucket list.

we were on the Sun Dancer on their first trip back and got to see the pics and vids from their time down there.

Back
Top Bottom