Liveaboard thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amadeus00:
Hello there fellow Texan! I am also looking for a diving honeymoon in March. I just started looking for ideas but we both know we want to dive.
Howdy,
After some research, looks like the Similans are a must see. We have narrowed down our plans to the Panunee or Mermaid 1 (time and price). Other boats we've considered are Aqua one, philkade, ocean rover, Rhapsody and the Viking. All look good. The Viking only has bunks, something to consider for a honeymoon. Our dive time is limited as we are travelling to the north and Cambodia as well as the south. I'll let you know what we decide. Lynda

Of those 2 boats I think the Panunee offers better value for money, although of course also the Mermaid is excellent. I like the atmosphere on the Panunee a bit better though.

One point of consideration: the Panunee caters mainly to Asians, the Mermaid to Westerners.

Right. Panunee has smaller cabins and not very convenient for taller westerners. Look at a cabin layout and you will see a difference between Thai boats and others. We do not book trips with such boats, because customers complains. But Panunee and such will be cheaper, but not much. Philkade is excellent as well as Colona and Dive Asia, but Harmony boat is a great value.

Hmmm, I am 180cm tall or just under 6' and never had problem with height on the Panunee. My dive buddy is 6'4" and never complained either. However he tend to stoop and walk funny so may be thats why he does not have problem :) Can't comment on the size of the rooms as I have not been on all of what I considered to be the high end boats there. I do like the room on Aqua One better mainly for the private bathroom in each cabin.

A couple of years ago, there weren't that many good boats out there but I am glad to see now that there are so many more choices available.

Agree with ssra, Panunee really is an excellent boat, also for Westerners. They may cater mainly to Asians, but in general I prefer the atmosphere of the Panunee over that on e.g. the Mermaid I.

Just had a look at the Philkade web site. It does look like a very nice boat. A little smaller than the others that were being discussed but not byt much. As so mebody else mentioned private bathrooms are nice , the A1 is all private whereas the Panunee only has private bathrooms for the suites (though I guess on a honeymoon you would definatley want these rooms) Difficult to see on the diagram , it seems Philkade shares bathrooms on the lower deck , anybody who's been on it can correct me! One thing that I couldn't imagine is shuggling up to your loved one on the Philkade's "rotten" sofa ;-)

All the boats TX mentions are nicer than the average Similan liveaboard.

As far as whether different boats cater more for western or asian tastes I think you will find most meals on boats operating in Thailand comprise of Thai food, surprise surprise. Though they will make sure that if you don't like spicy food , sea food or if you are vegetarian there will be an alternative.

The Hamburger:
Just had a look at the Philkade web site. It does look like a very nice boat. A little smaller than the others that were being discussed but not byt much. As so mebody else mentioned private bathrooms are nice , the A1 is all private whereas the Panunee only has private bathrooms for the suites (though I guess on a honeymoon you would definatley want these rooms) Difficult to see on the diagram , it seems Philkade shares bathrooms on the lower deck , anybody who's been on it can correct me! One thing that I couldn't imagine is shuggling up to your loved one on the Philkade's "rotten" sofa ;-)
QUOTE]

Hi Burger.

I will be checking out the Philkade next week. They have had a few start up problems - mainly in finding decent dive staff, but I spoke to the instructor who was tour leader on the last trip (he is currently teaching a tech course for us), and he was impressed with the boat. We will go and make a tour of the boat next week, get some photos and start promoting the boat. If the tour leader/cruise director turns out to be who we think it will be, then things should run well.

More news as it happens..

PS I've got one of those rotten sofas in my house...quite comfy actually.

txhorns:
Any recommendations on liveaboards going to Similan/Richelieu Rock (Thailand) for 4-5 days? We are going on our honeymoon Mar/April and looking for a comfortable boat with a good reputation. :moose:

I dived on the Genesis a few years ago. Good food and fast.
If you decide to go with them be sure to say hello to Liana and Pascall from Alan.

The Genesis has changed owners last year. It is still excellent, but is only offering 3 day/2 night trips to either Similans or Koh Bon/Tachai/Richelieu. That also means Liana and Pascal are not there anymore.

The Philkade: Was on the boat yesterday. You can tell the boat was not originally designed for diving, so they have made some adaptions, but it really looks excellent. And since they started late this year, their offers are very attractive.
The divedeck is not that practical yet, but probably won't be changed at the moment. It would also be nice to have Nitrox filling on the boat. Excellent saloon and cabins, 2 of the cabins (one double and 1 triple cabin) were orginally meant for families, so that means they share a bathroom, but all the other cabins have private bathrooms and are looking excellent. Nice sundeck etc, and also the (shaded) topdeck is looking very fine.
The tourleader (or cruise director) is an experienced guy who has been in the area for quite some years now, so he will be able to solve the small problems that will without a doubt occur on a boat taking divers out for the first year.
The captain has been captain on amongst others the Viking, and he has all the safety equipment on the boat that should be there and a lot more.

As mentioned, the boat looks excellent, I have already made the first bookings on the boat and will without any hesitation make more bookings. This season the Philkade is an excellent alternative for those who would have liked to book on one of the other top class boats but were to late to reserve a place there.

stevenl:
The Genesis has changed owners last year. It is still excellent, but is only offering 3 day/2 night trips to either Similans or Koh Bon/Tachai/Richelieu. That also means Liana and Pascal are not there anymore.

The Philkade: Was on the boat yesterday. You can tell the boat was not originally designed for diving, so they have made some adaptions, but it really looks excellent. And since they started late this year, their offers are very attractive.
The divedeck is not that practical yet, but probably won't be changed at the moment. It would also be nice to have Nitrox filling on the boat. Excellent saloon and cabins, 2 of the cabins (one double and 1 triple cabin) were orginally meant for families, so that means they share a bathroom, but all the other cabins have private bathrooms and are looking excellent. Nice sundeck etc, and also the (shaded) topdeck is looking very fine.
The tourleader (or cruise director) is an experienced guy who has been in the area for quite some years now, so he will be able to solve the small problems that will without a doubt occur on a boat taking divers out for the first year.
The captain has been captain on amongst others the Viking, and he has all the safety equipment on the boat that should be there and a lot more.

As mentioned, the boat looks excellent, I have already made the first bookings on the boat and will without any hesitation make more bookings. This season the Philkade is an excellent alternative for those who would have liked to book on one of the other top class boats but were to late to reserve a place there.

Thanks for your reply.
Do you know where Liana and Pascal are currently?
Another liveaboard? Left Phuket?
Thanks for your reply -
Blues

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom