Liveaboard to Raja Ampat or Banda, Indonesia vs. Oceanic Explorer, Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
Help!
I need to choose between a liveaboard trip to Banda out of Ambon, a liveaboard trip to Raja Ampat out of Sorong or a combo Bahura Resort , Dumaguete/Oceanic Explorer(Tubbataha Reef), Philippines.

I could really use some feedback from those who have gone to both places or have first hand info. I have already done the Lembeh and Bunaken areas and loved Indonesia, but I now have an opportunity to join a group trip to the Philippines. The time of year would be mid March, 2009.

Thanks

Laine

I'm sorry that no one has answered your thread.

I've been working with an outfit in the Seattle area that specializes in South Pacific Travel.

In fact they are called "South Pacific Island Travel"...you can look them up on the internet in case I've given you the wrong name.

Just put in what I've given you and you should find them.

When I spoke to them regarding liveaboard travel in 2009 and 2010 they appeared to be extremely knowledgeable.

Also call A-1 Scuba in Colorado for information. They run many trips in that area as well.

I'm sure someone will be able to assist you from either of these two resources.

Let me know what you find out.

Dive Safe at all times,

Thanks,
Sorry this response is tardy. After a few days I stopped checking for a response. We have decided on Philippines in 2009 and Raja Ampat for 2010 so it is a win win for us.

Laine

Thanks,
Sorry this response is tardy. After a few days I stopped checking for a response. We have decided on Philippines in 2009 and Raja Ampat for 2010 so it is a win win for us.

Laine

Glad things worked out for you. Make sure you post a trip report when you return from your trips.

Raja Ampat in 2010? That sounds like a winner!

Hi,
Now we have to decide on which liveaboard in Raja. I like the itinerary of new Peter Hughes Paradise Dancer as it goes down to Misool. Others we are looking at are the Searhorse, The Seven Seas and MV Odyssea. Do you have input on any of these specific liveaboards or others?

Thanks,
Laine

I just got back from a 11 day liveaboard trip to Raja Ampat. I felt the Misool dive sites were the weakest of the bunch. The northern Raja Ampat sites had much more fish and animal life. Not sure if this is normal, but it's what I experienced.

I have a plan to go Rajaampat June, but i am afraid that is not real season.

Almost Rajaampa liveaboard is until May , But only oneliveaboard is until June.

i select seasafaridiving liveaboard. That trip is not Banda see , only Rajaampat area like Misol Is,

and north of Raja ampat.

Hi All

Am glad you picked Phils before Raja Ampat because the other way round would have left you very disappointed. Phils just doesn't cut the mustard if you ask me. Too much bombing, filth and substandard levels of comfort and service. Liveaboards in the the Phils are generally a few notches below other Asian countries like Indo and Thailand yet they still cost about the same.

Banda and Raja Ampat are distinct areas and both way superior to Tubbataha or anywhere else Phils can offer. Lots of good boats and a variety of them too.

Good luck

Hi,
Now we have to decide on which liveaboard in Raja. I like the itinerary of new Peter Hughes Paradise Dancer as it goes down to Misool. Others we are looking at are the Searhorse, The Seven Seas and MV Odyssea. Do you have input on any of these specific liveaboards or others?

Thanks,
Laine

unfortunately MV Odyssea sunk..... not operating anymore..... :(

Hi all,

Well more developments. Our Phillipines trip kinda fell apart due to double booking by the liveaboard (they had to switch the land and liveaboard dates around to fit us in as our group was the second to book) and that did not work for us. So now we are going to Bonaire in March 2009 and the new Peter Hughes liveaboard in Raja in 2010. The Raja liveaboards seem to book up fast. We just put it together and only have 4 openings left for our week.

Laine

Back
Top Bottom