Living and Diving in Pattaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok gang, I'm getting closer to phase one of my big move to Thailand.

I've been doing some more research and have pretty much nailed it down to either Pattaya or Phuket, that is unless I missed someplace.

I know Phuket has excellent diving. However, I have also heard that the water off in Pattaya Bay is pretty dirty. I'm guessing this is due to the shipping traffic.

So, what's the consensus of the experts here? Is the diving in Phuket worth the isolation of being on an island in the far southern part of Thailand?

Anyone have any suggestions of a place to stay in Phuket if that's where I end up going? I already have arrangements to stay with friends in Pattaya if I go there.

Thanks for the input, as usual.

Quarrior:
I know Phuket has excellent diving. However, I have also heard that the water off in Pattaya Bay is pretty dirty. I'm guessing this is due to the shipping traffic.

its due to the runoff of the chao praya and chonburi rivers - it tends to be clearer in the dry season and during incoming tides - but theres no comparrison with "phuket" for diving in Thailand

Phuket is hardly isolated! It's quite expensive to live there though (for us locals).

Pattaya - well, I wouldn't want to live there under any circumstance. The diving around there is not as bad as everybody makes it out to be; in fact it can be quite good. There are also quite a few interesting wrecks.

Vie:
Pattaya - well, I wouldn't want to live there under any circumstance.
Interesting comment. Can you give me more details?

Keep in mind I am not interested in the bar scene all, so I am open to living in other areas as long as I have easy access to diving.

Diving wise there is no comparison between Phuket and Pattaya, so decide whether the diving is more important to you. Phuket has so much more to offer especially during the high season. As for isolation? Phuket can hardly be described as such. However if you are not keen on the bar scene if you come to Phuket look to stay around Kata, Karon, Nai Harn, Kamala areas. Still enough night life yet more laid back than Patong and Pattaya.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quarrior:
Interesting comment. Can you give me more details?

Well, I live in Bangkok, which is just an hour away. Pattaya is a rather ugly town of no cultural interest. I'd rather live in a large, culturally diverse city.

Ringo:
<snip> if you are not keen on the bar scene if you come to Phuket look to stay around Kata, Karon, Nai Harn, Kamala areas. Still enough night life yet more laid back than Patong and Pattaya.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

I agree with everybody that if being near good diving is a priority, come to Phuket rather than go to Pattaya. Diving here is good year round. If you must be near Bangkok for some reason, then Phuket does end up being expensive because of transportation back and forth.

As to where to live on Phuket, Ringo has some nice suggestions for west-coast beach towns. On the east coast, Chalong is a good, affordable town for divers, and the neighboring town to the south, Rawai, is mainly residential and offers some options. Both are near the dive pier. I know quite a few people who find Kathu very affordable, but it's not as close to the water.

I live in Chalong and agree with above comments, but its inexpensive here (single rooms for rent from 3000 baht per month, nice bungalows from 6000 baht - thai food 30-40 baht )
I probably went through the same decisions as you are going through before I got here about Phuket / Pattaya and having been to both I can 100% guarentee you that for diving / nightlife / accomodation / style / relaxation / job prospects / work availability / friendliness / beaches / beautiful countryside (jungle) / connections (airport) that Phuket comes out on top every time, good luck in your choices.

orangelemon:
I live in Chalong and agree with above comments, but its inexpensive here (single rooms for rent from 3000 baht per month, nice bungalows from 6000 baht - thai food 30-40 baht )
I probably went through the same decisions as you are going through before I got here about Phuket / Pattaya and having been to both I can 100% guarentee you that for diving / nightlife / accomodation / style / relaxation / job prospects / work availability / friendliness / beaches / beautiful countryside (jungle) / connections (airport) that Phuket comes out on top every time, good luck in your choices.

Thanks, since you live in Phuket do you have any knowledge of this place?

WWW.THEORCHIDHOTEL-PHUKET.COM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom