Living and Diving in Pattaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know this hotel although I am wondering why you would stay in a hotel if you plan on staying for a while? Unless of course you are planning on coming to check Phuket out first? If so, then there are so many inexpensive accommodation options available which you can easily arrange upon arrival. Ranging from bungalow to small cottages. This way you can see what areas of Phuket you prefer. If there is any way I can be of assistance to you please feel free to PM me. I'm sure that Batfish and others living here on Phuket would also be keen to assist with some good advice.

Ringo:
Don't know this hotel although I am wondering why you would stay in a hotel if you plan on staying for a while? Unless of course you are planning on coming to check Phuket out first? If so, then there are so many inexpensive accommodation options available which you can easily arrange upon arrival. Ranging from bungalow to small cottages. This way you can see what areas of Phuket you prefer. If there is any way I can be of assistance to you please feel free to PM me. I'm sure that Batfish and others living here on Phuket would also be keen to assist with some good advice.
Basically the plan is to spend time checking out several locations during this trip. I'll have 2 months to play with with a possible 3rd month extension.

Then it's back to the states and fisnish up some business. Once it's done, it's back to Thailand permanently.

James,

Thanks for the info. Only courses I may do will be Tech and that won't be until after I move there and get back in shape with lots of diving and swimming.

I've got all the rec certs I want. Now if you have some suggestions on how to get some of my stuff over there beyond what I can carry on the plane and do it cheaply, I'm all eyes. lol

Brian

Besides the great night life Pattaya does have excellent dive locations IF you know where to go. Where I dive I see very large sting rays and some time 3 in a group. The biggest ray had to of been 2 meters with out the tail. We do have Manta rays, just a month ago I did see one at around 30 meters. From Pattaya I have run trips where you can dive 3 different wrecks in one day.I have been on dives near Shark fin where I seen 5 1 1/2 meter sharks on one dive and 3 the next day. Ancient pottery about 1 1/2 from shore.

andibk

Quarrior:
James,

Thanks for the info. Only courses I may do will be Tech and that won't be until after I move there and get back in shape with lots of diving and swimming.

I've got all the rec certs I want. Now if you have some suggestions on how to get some of my stuff over there beyond what I can carry on the plane and do it cheaply, I'm all eyes. lol

Brian

I brought about 45kgs over here when I first came (Diving gear / IDC materials / Diving Books and a few clothes !) I wasnt asked for any excess baggage charge despite the airline terms showing 20kg limiit with no exceptions for diving equipment, my suggestion ? smile at checkin desk assistant. Would also say that most stuff can be bought out here more cheaply that it can in Europe so why lug it over when you can buy it here ?
As for tech courses, We work with the best and in my opinion thats Andrew and his team at http://www.oceanzonedivers.com/ We send our students to him once they get the tech bug !

Beyond what you carry on the plane? Are you talking about household goods? Clothing and personal items? Talk with international moving companies and freight shippers like DHL. It's generally possible to have a 'partial load' that is packed with other freight in a container going to the same general destination. This kind of shipment is charged by dimensions rather than weight if it's an ocean shipment and by the greater of actual or volumetric weight for air freight. Once you have estimated costs you can decide whether it is better to ship your stuff or hold a yard sale.

A piece of advice that was given to me years ago, before my first trip to Thailand, and I now pass on to everyone is: If it's not sentimentally valuable, rare or expensive, don't bother lugging it to Thailand. Everything you could want (and lots you probably don't ;o) is readily available and cheaper here than at home. Even dive gear is cheap here. Camera gear is sometimes best brought from home. And shoes...most people have rotten luck with shoes in Thailand for reasons of both quality and lack of larger sizes.
Most people who regularly commute in and out or visit Thailand frequently arrive with empty luggage and leave heavily laden with goodies and gifts for friends and family.

Ok, we got the excess luggage thing sorted out. I was planning on selling everything anyway, except my warm water dive gear.

Now, here's the next question. Which Visa do I apply for from the Consulate? Keep in mind I plan to make this in 2 trips.

First trip is for 2 or 3 months to see if Thailand is really for me (I don't doubt it will be, but better safe than sorry).

Second trip will take place within the year after my return to the US and I will permanently relocate to Thailand.

I am getting ready to apply for my visa for the first trip which is why I'm asking. I would rather just do it once.

In conjunction with the dive centre you intend to study with you should apply for a 3 Month Non-immigrant B Visa, you are at the mercy of your embassy / consulate if you get this but will make more sense and more convenient if you get this one as its a pre-requisite for your possible next 12 month Non-immigrant B Visa

james

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom