Living and Diving in Pattaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that mean I cannot get a 3 month non-immigrant visa without being associated with anyone?

Another question is, other than flying, what are my options to getting to Phuket from Bangkok?

Visa regulations in Thailand are complex. There is an entire website with tons of info http://www.thaivisa.com/ Thailand has rules for people staying here long-term to work, retire, support a Thai wife, etc. Each set of rules has its procedure and requirements, some with financial implications. Most people who come here for a look-see visit in anticipation of a lifestyle change just get the regular tourist visa (30 days) and then renew it by leaving the country briefly to get another 30-day visa. If you don't have a sponsor (dive shop or employer or Thai wife), that might be the best procedure for you. Once you have decided to relocate, you can get a visa lawyer to help you find your way through the labyrinth of regulations.

If you don't want to fly between Bangkok and Phuket, you can take the bus. It's a long, long ride (12 hours I think). Flying between BKK and HKT is easy and relatively inexpensive. You have a choice of 4 airlines: Thai, Air Asia, Nok, and Bangkok Air. Looking at Air Asia's site right now for flights on a random day (August 15) yields one fare as low as THB 399. (A bit more than $10 USD.) and the most expensive fare for that day is THB 1100 (less than $30 USD.) After having come halfway around the world on a plane, I wonder why you would want to ride a bus for 12 hours when you could get here in one hour so cheaply?

Quero:
Visa regulations in Thailand are complex. There is an entire website with tons of info http://www.thaivisa.com/ Thailand has rules for people staying here long-term to work, retire, support a Thai wife, etc.

I've been to that web site, which is why I asked the question here. LOL I want to get my visa application sent in this week and wasn't sure which way to go on it. I plan to stay for at least 60 days, possibly 90.

After having come halfway around the world on a plane, I wonder why you would want to ride a bus for 12 hours when you could get here in one hour so cheaply?
I think you answered you own question. Halfway around the world on a plane equals about 22 hours couped up. Actually, I was hoping for some kind of ferry ride or something like that so I can relax and enjoy the scenary.

Quarrior:
I've been to that web site, which is why I asked the question here. LOL I want to get my visa application sent in this week and wasn't sure which way to go on it. I plan to stay for at least 60 days, possibly 90.

I think you answered you own question. Halfway around the world on a plane equals about 22 hours couped up. Actually, I was hoping for some kind of ferry ride or something like that so I can relax and enjoy the scenary.

I *think* that you can get the 3 month single entry tourist visa from the embassy without much paperwork. However, it depends on the embassy staff - sometimes they won't issue a particular visa type, despite the paperwork on the embassy wall to the contrary.

If you can't get that visa, then you could just come in using your passport and get a 30 day visa. You'll need to exit/reenter the country every 30 days, but it's not a huge deal and quite a few people live like this.

The bus journey isn't going to be particulary comfortable or exciting. It's long and there isn't much to see and they aren't luxury busses. Take the flight.

Back
Top Bottom