Lobster poaching starts early

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote of the day in some Keys dive shop: "Do you rent tickle sticks", and the repair quote is "can you make it stop leaking without servicing it?". Some folks from California came in to rent gear. All 36 sets have been rented for months.
Why would a Californian diver ask about tickle sticks? We have to grab them by hand with no nets nor sticks.

California diver didn’t plan ahead and reserve gear early. They weren’t the folks trying to rent a ticklestick.

@MaxBottomtime

Why would a Californian diver ask about tickle sticks? We have to grab them by hand with no nets nor sticks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I suspect the phrase was about renting equipment …

per @Wookie
Some folks from California came in to rent gear

I have never experienced the mini Lobster Season but I suspect the availability of rental equipment is some what rare and has been reserved for the casual diver weeks or months in advance

Wookie __ Comment ???' OOOPS YA BEAT ME TOO IT !

SDM

PS-- Wookie et all Florida divers
Do you have contest for the largest lobster taken on opening day as many shops did or do in SoCal ?
What is general rough order of magnitude of the biggest lobster taken during the season?
sdm

There is bugfest in Lauderdale By The Sea. I’ve never done it but probably should have last year when I had a 7# in 10’ of water off Deerfield but oh well. Also I just read the rules and Regs and I’m not sure if Freedivers can enter.

PS 8 hrs till I hit water and I’m already tasting lobster ceviche for tomorrow night.

@MaxBottomtime

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I suspect the phrase was about renting equipment …

per @Wookie
Some folks from California came in to rent gear

I have never experienced the mini Lobster Season but I suspect the availability of rental equipment is some what rare and has been reserved for the casual diver weeks or months in advance

Wookie __ Comment ???' OOOPS YA BEAT ME TOO IT !

SDM

PS-- Wookie et all Florida divers
Do you have contest for the largest lobster taken on opening day as many shops did or do in SoCal ?
What is general rough order of magnitude of the biggest lobster taken during the season?
sdm
I’ve seen some pretty big bugs in the tanks at the FWC labs, Sam, but nothing like a big Maine or California lobster. They get too big to hide and a jewfish slurps them up... i’ve Never seen one so big that I said wow, that’s a big bug.

2003: 16#4oz in 120 FSW out of Port Canaveral on the 20 mile reef.

No tickle sticks or snares were used. I had to swim this bubba up from the depths while holding him. I still bear the scars.

NC Lobsters from offshore ledges. No tickle sticks.

2lobsters.JPG

Why would anyone risk jail time for a meal?

Could ask the same question about half of what you read in the paper every day. Bottom line is there are a lot of people who just do not think about consequences.

@Wookie
And 3 more go down for starting a little early.
Why would anyone risk jail time for a meal?
They got busted before lobster miniseason even began
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This absolutely baffles me ? WHY?
The devious criminal mind !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
re Big Bugs -- Personal Best

Mine is 17.3 ounces captured some years ago at San Clemente Island, California

In the early days of California diving I experimented with preserving marine life for display ,lectured locally to dive clubs and at UICCs for LA Co UIA and NAUI, published a number of articles in national and local magazines and my techniques were also featured in at least two books that I am aware; Diving west and SCUBA Safe and Simple.

I mounted the 17.3 lobster on a 4 foot diameter board and had it on display in my den for a while-- even hung high it was overwhelming so I loaned it to my dear friend and diving buddy the late Ron Merker (@Dr bills basic instructor) where it was on display for many many years in his shop the Aquatic Center . All good this come to an end, Ron sold the shop,. I retrieved the mount and now for the last ten or more years is on display at Depth Perceptions in San Luis Obispo California. A silent tribute to a gallant lobster and an era that will never ever be experienced again on this earth

Samuel Miller, III

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom