Local Dive Operators in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We (my wife and I) are headed to Grand Cayman in 6 weeks and are interested in a local dive operator that takes small groups (less than 10). We will be staying on north 7 mile beach in a condo and have a rental car. We have used Divetech last time and we were not happy with their customer service and policies. From others we have heard that Red Sail Sports is good but takes large groups. Any information would be helpful! Also, any dive sites that are highly recommended for wildlife? We are not that interested in swim-throughs and wrecks. Thanks!

Ambassador Divers, Indigo Divers, Neptune's Divers, Off the Wall and Wall to Wall all limit their trips to 6-8 divers. All get positive recommendations here often. This list is alphabetical - not by recommendation. Links to all their websites are here: Cayman Islands - Travel and Tourism Site - Diving

Look at Redsail's fleet size and decide for yourself. I've also read that they use AL72's to further limit BT. Not for me...

Aquarium was a good shallow 2nd dive with lots of fish everywhere. Look for small cleaning stations around the coral patches. (look for hovering fish) The shrimp are tiny and fluorescent red/blue. We also saw a lot of stuff at Hepp's Wall. Big Tunnel also but it's a swim through. Orange Canyon and Trinity Caves are supposed to be good also but we didn't get there. If you shoredive there's a suprising amount of stuff at Turtle Reef just north of SMB. It's a shallow mini-wall with lots of interesting stuff all along it. When we were there, there was a huge school of Tarpon resting in the shadows to the south. I also saw several eagle rays fly overhead.

Hi

My friends and I were in Grand Cayman last year and dove with Ocean Frontiers, they are on the east side. Extremely professional and cater to the more advanced divers, but I'm sure would put you in a group that would be appropriate for you. Some great diving with them, walls, coral, rays turtles, etc. Nitrox is available..........if you go, say hi to Ellie, the videographer, tell her the group from San Jose (Tom, Pam and Leanna say hello). Also did a photo workshop with Kat at Kathy Church photography at Sunset house...........Great time and would go back in a heart beat. Headed for Barbados in May and looking for anyone that has done some diving there.

Have a blast
Pam

We have used Divetech last time and we were not happy with their customer service and policies.

Never dived Cayman, but I had always planned to use Divetech when I finally got there. Anything in particular that they did, or were you just looking to find something better?

I haven't been there yet, but a guy named Mike who used to own my favorite dive shop in the Keys now works for Ambassador Divers. I trust he wouldn't work for them if they weren't as good as the business he used to own, which was excellent.

Hi - we live in Grand Cayman 4-6 months of the year, and I love to dive here.
When we use a tour operator, it's Cayman Marine Lab - Tom Byrnes. He's a marine biologist and dive master, so your surface interval times can be very entertaining. He'll make sure you see lots of things; there have been lots of fish, lobster, rays, some eel (especially on the North) - just depends on the timing. Let Tom know your preferences - we rarely do wrecks or swim throughs.
The others mentioned are also very good - may just want to shop and see what your options are at that time.
Depending on the weather, you'll go to the North Wall off the North Sound - there are good sites there like Eagle Ray Pass; Off Seven Mile Beach - West Bay, there are alot on the point - Orange Canyon, Big Tunnel;
On the East End - I'm not as familiar with those sites but Ocean Frontiers is a good dive operator for that area. I did a shark dive with them years ago, but I don't think it's offered anymore. You may still see reef shark. If you have the time, and since you have a car, it's worth taking the time - 45 min - to drive down there to dive.
They also kitesurf there so that's fun to watch - and it operates out of Ocean Frontiers. - The Kitehouse.
I hope you have a great trip - let me know if you have any other particular questions about Grand Cayman. We love it!
Sorry - I couldn't post links - you can find them both on the web; let me know if you have a problem.
Jane

Neptunes, 8 Divers Max they dive west and north walls.
Keith and Casey rock.

Collsmitty - I am going to Grand Cayman and was planning on staying at Cobalt Coast and using Divetech. What didn't you like about them? What about their policies? If you don't want to post it please PM me.

Thanks,
Eric

Collsmitty,

We, too, have dived with DiveTech and other outfits on Grand Cayman

We just returned from two weeks of diving with Neptune's. They will dive west, north or south depending on the weather. Having 8 divers maximum (we often had only 5 or 6, and 5 of them were our group) they can accommodate different skill levels and preferences.

We have dived with them for three trips now, and are in the midst of planning our next trip to Grand Cayman and, you guessed it, we'll be diving with them.

Your location is great for them, they usually leave from the public beach or the Yacht Club, depending on weather.

As for dive sites; on the south we loved Japanese Gardens and a brand new site right near it, on the west, we really love Bonnie's Arch and on the north, heck, there ain't any bad sites on the north that I can think of!

Feel free to post or PM any questions you can think of.

DS

Cayman Marine Lab - Tom Byrnes

Is he still going? We dove with him in the 90's and loved it. You get an education on marine life as well. Still remember his lesson on tunicates. Smaller groups and more personal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom