local diving videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I absolutely love my rig! It is just what I needed and right in my price range.
Also, the video posted on our website is low resolution...... the DVD versions are crystal clear on my big tv which makes me very happy, too. I can't wait to go somewhere with crystal clear water and really shoot!!!

robint

HUGE difference - the DVDs created with the camcorder are really really sharp on my big tv.... the videos posted on the website are only wmv files and have compression, and no where near as good of resolution! I am very impressed with the HC-42.
Some of the topside footage I shot from all the way across Blue Hole and I got close ups of faces and could even hear people talking 50-80' away. And I didn't even use any of the special features (back light, Easy button, special modes - portrait, landscape, etc) they are all just shot with the ON and OFF buttons, period. I am sure with a bit on experimenting the video quality of the topside stuff would be even better!
Underwater you are limited to ON and OFF and Zoom. There is a still capture function but no need to use it plus if you are doing the mirror and getting the reverse circuitry from Ike, you have to turn that off to use the still. But most editing software will do still captures from your videos so no need to do it while shooting!

Hope this helps!

robint

Thanks for that, i will need to have a looky at next months London dive show.

Wow,

Great results and its the kind of system ($$$) that is possible for me.

With the mirror do you have real control over what you are shooting? Do you use lights? Filter? Wide angle lens?

How well will the system work in low light conditions... I guess the quarry was low light. What was the depth at which the video was shot?

Ikelite seems to be the only housing that fits the 42 is this true to your knowledge?

Hey the music was great as well... whats the title and artist?

Many thanks.

yes, I was using the WA sony lens, it works very well.

low light, yes, depth is about 70-80' too so with the crappy vis, it was dark....... I didn't use any lights at all. Another reason I love that camcorder! I think the red filter that comes with the Ikelite housing does an awesome job with bringing in color, too.

there are other housings available for most Sonys...... Ocean Images (oceanimagesinc.com), Undersea Video Housings (www.usvh.com) and I think a few others....... it all depends on what you want and how much you can spend.
I am a big fan of Ikelite so it was easy for me to decide.

the mirror is mounted on the outside of the housing and reflects the LCD which is folded back against the body of the camcorder..... the reverse circuitry is an add-on that Ikelite did for me which makes the picture reverse back to exactly what you see. It was absolutely awesome and as you could see, I had no problem tracking that goldfish through the water! Works like a charm!

robint

Hi Robint,

I've been using the Sony HC40 in an Ikelite housing for a year or so. I'm getting results that I'm pretty pleased with as well.

You mention the reversing circuitry. Is this something that Ikelite did specially for you? I can't find any reference to it on their website except for the HC1

yes, you need to contact Ike at Ikelite and ask about getting the reverse circuitry. It was originally designed for the newest housings for the HD camcorders but it can be installed in others. He can give you the details and price. It really is an awesome setup and worth getting. I hope he does make it available to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom