Local grinds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
gotta love buff island boys...Becky I think that comment means you are a "cougar". I saw it on Entertainment Tonight....

Then it must be true!

We can add another hole in the wall place to the list for Oahu:

Bob's Bar-be-que on Dillingham, near the Grocery Outlet.

I had noticed that when ever I drove by the place was booming, so yesterday we thought we'd give it a try. We went for the Rib combo: Beef Ribs, shrimp, 2 scoops of rice, 1 scoop of mac on a bed of cabbage for under $11.00. It was enough for the two of us. It was messy and they didn't have a place to clean yourself up...but it was great!

Kiawe grill on king street, pork chop plate with Korean sides and of course 2 scoops rice. MmmMmmm.

Also love Ono Hawaiian Foods on Kapahulu, and Ono Sea Foods (some of the best poke for sure)

bjgove:
the pizza down the street from quinn's at the kona brew pub is da kine, bra! the pesto pizza and a beer sampler is reason enough to go to kona, not to mention the coffee and diving.
The Kona Brew Pub in Hawaii Kai is damn near as good as Kona, and the ambience is nicer.........same pizza, I love Pele's Own washed down with a few IPA's.

So I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face following one of my favorite sandwiches, a good pastrami and horseradish sandwich (4 tablespoons of pure sinus cleansing joy), and got to remembering Auntie Janes lunch wagon.

Up till a couple of years ago the drive out to Kaupo (a good hour past Hana) was worth it just for a taste of the best sandwich on the island IMHO, from Auntie Janes lunch wagon... She made one thing, hamburgers, and you got them her way or no way. Next to hers, a burger from Outback steakhouse appeared to come from the Golden Arches as you contemplated how to eat that nearly 1/2 pound of beef piled high with up to 13 condiments (depending on how she felt that day of course). Each burger came complete with instructions on the best way to eat them and the best part of all was the "talk story" time with Auntie Jane as she would regale you with tales of her 50+ years working the cattle ranches, wrestling bulls in the rodeo ring, the history of her family in the community, and of course the many pictures of her grandchildren she was so proud of. All the while you sat eating your burger, with juice running down your chin more often than your paper towel could keep up with.

Now when I drive out toward Kaupo I still see her lunch wagon sitting in the same cow pasture it's always been in, with the old picnic table next to it, but the grass has grown tall and the gate remains closed... gone is another local "spot", but the memories remain fragrent to this day :)

Aloha, Tim

justleesa:
We can add another hole in the wall place to the list for Oahu:

Bob's Bar-be-que on Dillingham, near the Grocery Outlet.

I had noticed that when ever I drove by the place was booming, so yesterday we thought we'd give it a try. We went for the Rib combo: Beef Ribs, shrimp, 2 scoops of rice, 1 scoop of mac on a bed of cabbage for under $11.00. It was enough for the two of us. It was messy and they didn't have a place to clean yourself up...but it was great!

My Dad's office used to be 2 driveways Diamond head of Bob's bbq on Dillingham. In the same spot Fritz' european bakery is (it used to be half it's current size, and I remember "Fritz" spoiling my brother and I with his Christmas "pfeffernusse" cookies) but back then the area by Bob's bbq smelled like old grease and rotting fish, so we lost our appetite whenever we walked by... I don't even think the smell was coming from the restraunt, but it was so strong my brother and I would hold our breath as we ran by on our way to McDonalds across the street.

Glad you enjoyed eating there, maybe I need to try it one of these days :)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Across the street from Bob's bbq, behind the DMV, there is an incredible plate lunch restraunt that you can find by following the smell of sweet garlic doused chicken. Can't remember the name of it, but it's in the back of that parking lot in one of the newer buildings sitting parallel to the canal. Fried sweet chicken dripping with garlic ... ahhhh

All this talk about hawiian food makes me want to catch the next plane out to the islands, man do I wish I could find living wage out there.

Dont we all....

Back
Top Bottom