Local grinds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkndivebum:
Oh, my.

They're best when they're warm, but they're even pretty good cold. On our way to
Bonaire with some friends last year they wound up flying thru Oahu. We all met in
Chicago early the next morning, and they had brought some Leonard's malasadas with
them :thumbs_up:

GKN,
No need to go to Oahu, you reside in Malasada heaven. Go to Tex's Drive Inn in Honokaa. My friend Jack Malasada (not his real name, but he likes to be called Mr. Malasada) picks up a box for me when ever he comes to Kona.

LioKai:
GKN [...] Go to Tex's Drive Inn in Honokaa. [...]

Deal! Gotta stop and check Tex's out now. I'm embarrased to admit that we've never
stopped there ...

For those of you that like kalua pig, Tiki's in Waikiki has good kalua pig nachos. Sounds bad but it is yummy.

My favorite is Leonard's malasada and Kua 'aina is great, too!

dittio on the loco moco!! also for dissert a slice of coconut pie w/macadamian nut crust from Jamison's by the Sea!!!!
oh! shaved ice w/red beans, the breakfast buffet at Turtle Bay Hilton, a burger from Coconut Joe's....oh my...I need to book a flight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at work right now just dying because of this thread! haha. I just started reading and couldn't stop. This reminds me of that song, "I like poi, I'm a big boy.." It goes on to list all the great dishes you can find in the islands.

I'm here on Maui, so here goes my favorites

Lunch or Dinner:
Cheeseburger at Paia Fish Market (the cole-slaw has crack in it, I'm sure of it)
Chicken Katsu Plate Lunch at Hana Hou (in Haiku, the owner comes out and plays his guitar and sings tons of songs. This is the best place to bring visiting family cause it's like a dinner with a free show.)
BBQ Ribs at Hali'imaile General Store.

Dessert:
Warm Macadamia Nut Pie with a side of ice cream at Jacques in Paia (dinner is pretty good, but the dessert is why we go).

osujamesc:
I'm here on Maui, so here goes my favorites

Lunch or Dinner:
Cheeseburger at Paia Fish Market (the cole-slaw has crack in it, I'm sure of it)
Chicken Katsu Plate Lunch at Hana Hou (in Haiku, the owner comes out and plays his guitar and sings tons of songs. This is the best place to bring visiting family cause it's like a dinner with a free show.)
BBQ Ribs at Hali'imaile General Store.

I just moved from Maui, and already I miss plenty places... You hit the fish market right on, but, you can't forget Alexander's FishMarket in Kihei, as well that Thai place in the corner of Azeka's II.
Now, I know it's not local, but, I have yet to find a better mex place than Fiesta Time in Wailuku... Talk about ono!!! Their steak torta reminds me how they make it in Gardena, CA. Plus, I'm surprised no one mentioned Sam Sato's or for lunch plate Da Kitchen!
Ok, I'm getting hungry again, and I just finished eating my 'opelu kala and mu I jus caught.

Kua'aina bacon cheese or bacon-turkey
black bean shark pit from maui tacos
blue cheese covered ribeye from Kincaids
kalua pork sandwich from pinkeys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom