Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This one is funny. Are they going to build mountains on the island...?

Some hills of dirt could be enough. There's actually already a mountain bike park on the island, but I'm not sure how good they are doing. I contacted them before our early July trip, and they said they are currently closed -- planning to re-open in the winter: Hidden Mayan Trails

There are several mountain bike parks here in Austin, and no, no mountains have been built. A mountain bike park is a trail with jumps and berms for bicyclists to traverse. It's just a scaled down version of motocross for human powered two wheelers.

Damn! Make me wonder if the cartels reach has made it to the island. If they are corrupt, who knows?

They have been here for a good while, but have kept it under the table in operations. You've been able to buy drugs in Cozumel for decades, so yes the cartel has been here for decades, too.

Recently, however, they have felt more empowered to operate above the table. As a business owner here, it is concerning.

But I tell all my divers the same thing - do not buy drugs, do not buy women, and you will never have an expereince that makes you think about the cartel while here. But if buying drugs and women is your thing, know that you are dancing with the devil.

This is very close to my house, and I am very much looking forward to it. Sort of boggled my mind that we have not had a public one yet given how much jungle space we have on the island. Politics give too much attention to tourists and not enough to locals, in my opinion.

Granted, the name is a misnomer, but reality is most mountain bike pathes are on flat land anyway. Think Kansas, for example... The term "mountain bike" more refers to off-road terrain than it does an actual large hill or mountain. The hills and mountains are for the expert riders only.

But I tell all my divers the same thing - do not buy drugs, do not buy women, and you will never have an expereince that makes you think about the cartel while here. But if buying drugs and women is your thing, know that you are dancing with the devil.
As someone else posted, that is good advice no matter where you are, but doing that stuff is especially risky in unfamiliar areas where armed thugs control those, um, resources.

In the Colonia across the street from the airport...

This was not near the airport. Bodies were found on the transversal road way out of town around Kilometer 8 I think it was. Not that the location makes it any better...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom