Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate pinche Por Esto as it won't let me translate!!! but I like good news!!
It translates for me in Chrome, but I can't copy it.

Well, let's see. The taxi drivers constantly trying to overcharge us. The dive shop raising prices mid week and then over charging for o2 fills. We had several restaurants try to overcharge us from what was listed on the menu. Honestly? Every time we turned around someone was trying to con us out of money. It was definitely a different vibe than in the past. We go on vacation to relax. Not to be on alert for people trying to take advantage.
That's too bad.
Odd how one person/couple have more rotten luck during one trip than 50 people/couples do over 5 years.

We get the question "is Cozumel safe?" all the time, but it is impossible to say in absolute terms. Stuff happens everywhere but the degree of risk to the typical vacationer on Cozumel is very low - much lower than in many locations in the US - as long as that person stays away from shady activities and shady characters. Stay away from drugs and prostitution, for example.
I get offered drugs every time I pass a pharmacy:rofl3: My friend dove the hooker today, not in Coz..

It's already having an effect. I used to travel down 4-6 times a year. After seeing how things were being done on our trip last October, I haven't been back.
I'm the opposite, starting to ramp up the travel. Hoping to go down a handful of times next year.

This is good news. - Aeropuerto de Cancún elimina uso obligatorio de cubrebocas

That's too bad.
Odd how one person/couple have more rotten luck during one trip than 50 people/couples do over 5 years.
I get what you are TRYING to do there, but you missed. A quick search here and on FB will show how things have degraded.

There was a group of 6 of us. I was the only diver and only Male. One young lady was charged 3x what a taxi ride should have cost. Another was very aggressively handled by a shop owner. I could go on and on, but there is literally no point.

One young lady was charged 3x what a taxi ride should have cost.
I get that all of the time.
Another was very aggressively handled by a shop owner.
I've only had that happen once, by a Tequila salesman in a shop close to the plaza. I just kept walking away.

Well, let's see. The taxi drivers constantly trying to overcharge us. The dive shop raising prices mid week and then over charging for o2 fills. We had several restaurants try to overcharge us from what was listed on the menu. Honestly? Every time we turned around someone was trying to con us out of money. It was definitely a different vibe than in the past. We go on vacation to relax. Not to be on alert for people trying to take advantage.
The taxi driver overcharging issue is by no means a recent development, especially if you pay for rides with US$. If a dive shop changed their prices for dives already booked that would be problematic, but otherwise whenever they were to change them would be in the middle of someone's trip; inflation is a global issue not specific to Cozumel.

But anyway, if you go to an area where the majority of residents live in poverty, and you have a relatively large amount of discretionary money at your disposal, you will be under some pressure to part with some of it. That is going to be the case anywhere you go, and we should be aware that the reason Cozumel is still a relatively cheap place to go for vacation is largely due to the economic conditions there which we are taking advantage of. You could go somewhere else where conditions are different and where you could, as you say, relax and not feel like you are being extorted for what is, frankly for most of us, a pittance, but you will pay more up front for the experience.

Speaking strictly for myself, I will continue to go to Cozumel in spite of what you are talking about, though I will pay for taxi rides in pesos and scrutinize the check in restaurants.

More Wild West stories, shoot up at CHEDRAUI...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom