Location of Sharks' teeth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LunaBuna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I ran into someone who showed me pictures of the enormous sharks' teeth he had gotten while diving off the coast of NC. Does anyone know where to go diving for big sharks teeth like that? He said they were about 26 miles offshore but I don't have any additional location information. Any suggestions?

If you are in Wilmington you are already in the right place. Most of the local charters run to the Meg Ledge/Fossil Ledge. The "inshore" fossil ledge is closer in as was described. Offshore where you find the bigger teeth that are less likely to be damaged is 40 miles out or so and 95-105 ft deep.

Offshore you really need to be careful of your NDL times and be carrying a reel. Navigation is next to impossible on the featureless bottom, especially once it gets stirred up a bit digging. My computer on my last 3 offshore fossil ledge dives shows me at 101ft, 103ft, 103ft. You'll definitely want to be on nitrox. 30-32% is probably the most common although some lean on out to 28%.

Thanks so much! That info is so helpful! When I looked up the area on my Navionics app it looks like you have to go about 80 miles offshore to get to 95 feet. Where was it that you went?

IMG_0441.PNG

IMG_0442.PNG

Any beach is likely to have them. All you have to do is sift a lot of sand or go deeper than your competitors. Sanibel Island in Florida seems to catch a lot of stuff, plus it is warm and sunny most often.

Cooper River in South Carolina also. It's shallow blackwater (Tannic stained) diving so mostly by feel.
Contact Charleston Scuba since IDK who is doing it now.

Cooper River in SC also. It's shallow blackwater (Tannic stained) diving so mostly by feel. Contact Charleston Scuba since IDK who is doing it now.

If you get skunked, you can buy them in the gift shop at the Military Museum...lol.

Ex-wife's obsession, not mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom