Log book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Log it. Paper or plastic (err electronic it is) it won't hurt. It helps a lot to keep track of your trim, especially if you don't have your own tanks.

Hmm, okay, so it would seem that my sentiment is not exactly like I thought then. Do you have someone else sign off on them? My log book from PADI has the signature lines for buddies/instructors to sign off on.
The only dives in my binder-style logbook that have signatures are the ones I conducted as PADI class dives (OW, AOW). By the time I took Rescue class, I had already switched over to an electronic logbook. Nowadays, I log dives on my computer (PC download from dive computer) which gets synced up with my iPhone every few months.

For what it's worth, I never saw the point of having someone else sign my logbook. Is it a form of verification? If so, how would a third party ever know that someone actually signed it anyway? I just write down the name of my buddy and any other divers that were diving in our group. It helps me know whom I should seek out if I can't remember something about the dive. :D
I have heard that it is good to log because some trips wants you to prove you have a certain number of dives as well as if you want to be an instructor/divemaster etc. I fully intend on continuing my dive eductation and possibly be an instructor at some point so I am going to keep on logging for that reason
I've never had to show any kind of logbook to a dive op. I suppose if they wanted some sort of record, I could show them the divelog on my iPhone or call up the "memory" function on my dive computer.

The primary reason you should be logging dives is so that you can reference your dives in the future. All this info comes in handy if you revisit certain dive sites in the future. Feel free to write down anything you want (amount of lead, exposure protection used, gear problems, what you ate/drank during the surface interval, stuff about the fun people on the boat with you, etc.). Some electronic divelogging software will even let you attach digital photos and videos to a given dive profile. Pretty neat, huh? Your divelog is a compilation of your dive memories. Enjoy it.

FWIW, the lifetime logged dives requirement for instructor candidates for most of the larger instructional agencies is rather low anyway.

<Doesn't log dives. Well kinda, I did log four Open Water dives when I was certified. I get to do enough paper work 5 days a week, I do not need more on weekends.

If anyone wants to log, have at it. If someone asked me for a signature in their log book I would oblige with a smile. "To each their own." :)

I log every dive. If nothing else, even if you don't provide a narrative for the dive, it's very helpful to log the conditions, equipment notes such as weight used, what type of tank, etc. If you don't remember how much weight you used with the 7mm versus the dry suit, no problem, it's in your logbook. If you don't remember how long you can last with a given set of gear based on say temperature, or air, no problem, it's in your logbook.

Likewise, I log location and time/date of each dive I've done (helps that computer keeps track of the details, just have to download it). I gave up the paper logbook a while ago ever since I got an electronic one for my smartphone.

This is an amusing thread to read. Many, many years ago I decided I wanted to become a divemaster, so started taking the course. That was when it was explained to me that I had to present proof of 60 logged dives to complete. At this time, I had already been diving for 20 years and had done way over 1000 dives, but like a lot of people had stopped logging my dives after the first year or so. So one day I bought a logbook and commenced logging dive #001 that afternoon. It felt kind of silly, but it soon became a habit. I'm now up to #32xx, and have found those piles of paper logs to have been extremely useful. There probably isn't a week that goes by that I don't go digging around in my old logs to find an answer to a question like...
What week did the nettles start getting thick in Monterey last fall, and how long did it last?
What were the really great dive sites in Anacapa on the live-aboard trip last year?
What is the average deep water temperature in March in Little Cayman?
"I went diving with you 3 years ago and would like to have you take me out again next week. Are you willing?"

Get the drift? It's amazing how useful logbook data can be, though at the time you're making your notes you often can't anticipate how you will find it to be helpful later.

This is an amusing thread to read. Many, many years ago I decided I wanted to become a divemaster, so started taking the course. That was when it was explained to me that I had to present proof of 60 logged dives to complete. At this time, I had already been diving for 20 years and had done way over 1000 dives, but like a lot of people had stopped logging my dives after the first year or so. So one day I bought a logbook and commenced logging dive #001 that afternoon. It felt kind of silly, but it soon became a habit. I'm now up to #32xx, and have found those piles of paper logs to have been extremely useful. There probably isn't a week that goes by that I don't go digging around in my old logs to find an answer to a question like...
What week did the nettles start getting thick in Monterey last fall, and how long did it last?
What were the really great dive sites in Anacapa on the live-aboard trip last year?
What is the average deep water temperature in March in Little Cayman?
"I went diving with you 3 years ago and would like to have you take me out again next week. Are you willing?"

Get the drift? It's amazing how useful logbook data can be, though at the time you're making your notes you often can't anticipate how you will find it to be helpful later.

I keep extensive logs of my dives, although my total is far short of Bruce's. I use my own custom-designed pages, as in addition to the usual stuff (what _was_ my weighting on that several years ago dive at Lake Tahoe with a borrowed tank? What fish/slugs etc. did I see, and where?), I keep track of a lot of navigational data (waypoint, pressure, dive time, depth, temp, heading, distance, sun, beach and/or anchor directions) on many sites where I'll likely return and need to find my way around, or for mapping. Aside from the practical value, I find it enjoyable to be able to look back and remind myself of where I've been and what I've done. Ideally I'd do it all electronically with a good search function, but I want paper backup.

Guy

Last edited:
@zf2nt: I'm just curious about the following...
Is there legal precedent for the subpoena of personal records, such as dive logbooks, from both dive pros (Course Directors, Instructors, AIs, DMs, etc.) and regular, average OW divers?

The reason I ask is that I could see this being a consideration for what a person chooses to include in his/her logbook.

I like to record fairly detailed dive reports, and I'm sure others do as well.

I have 824 dives. I know that because I log every one of them. So does my husband, or rather I log them for him. It's not a paper log book though. I download them from our dive computers, then I type in notes. When we're on a trip, he takes notes with site names to match with the download when we get home. I love logging my dives, it helps me remember them, and it helps me review my profiles so I can work on improving my stops and such.

Back
Top Bottom