log book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never been asked for a log book. Have been asked for date of last dive on paperwork with my dated signature prior to boarding most charters. Nearly always asked for my c-card or c-card# on the same paper work. Some have asked for total number of dives and depth of last dive. Fairly thorough paperwork I thought. :)

I can imagine that it's a legal thing.

Not that a logbook has any documentary value per se, but if there is an accident and the estate tries to claim that the operator didn't do due diligence in confirming recent dive experience (as opposed to certification at some point in the past), they could say that the diver showed a log book.

Then the estate would be in the position of trying to prove that the diver produced a fraudulent log book, which wouldn't help their case.

I have never been asked for a log book myself anywhere. But I have it all on my phone, though...

Yeah, totally agree. It always gets back to what rules the dive op sets--what they legally feel comfortable with. But, maybe there are some odd places where having a log book is required by law. So why not just check all that out before you go.

I haven't logged dives (like many here) since #500 many years ago. What am I supposed to do? Create an instant logbook before a trip? Sworn affidavit? Picture of me in gear at local pool taken that week?

Insurance? Not really. I can't even begin to imagine the cross questioning on this. I would imagine that a written statement is as good as any logbook. If you're gonna lie, at least autograph it.

I haven't logged dives (like many here) since #500 many years ago. What am I supposed to do? Create an instant logbook before a trip? Sworn affidavit? Picture of me in gear at local pool taken that week?

Insurance? Not really. I can't even begin to imagine the cross questioning on this. I would imagine that a written statement is as good as any logbook. If you're gonna lie, at least autograph it.
Of course as a Dive Con it's a mute question for you. Otherwise I guess you could bring your first 500 logged dives along with one you logged last week?

Whenever this question comes up - and it comes up here ALL the time - people tend to get upset because they know what experienced divers they are and they know how little a log book means. It becomes a personal thing, people become justifiably indignant...

Another approach is to try to see it from the other guy's point of view (the dive operator). Or even better, see it from the point of view of the poor kid who is working for the dive operator, getting paid in "experience" and who will lose his job if he doesn't do what the boss has decided is the shop policy. They don't know you. They don't know that you have done the Doria or whatever. If they are working in a popular dive resort, every week they see dozens of people from all over the world with varying experience, and it's just easier for them if they default to one protocol. But that might well be negotiable.

Instead of saying that you will never dive with a place that requires a logbook, maybe a simple phone call or email ahead of time when you are diving somewhere new to see if there is any other way that you can satisfactorily establish your diving experience. We're all good at communicating underwater, it should be much easier topside! :)

No indignance. Logbook is just not important to me. I've also never been asked for one. I wonder what happens if you can't produce a logbook?

No indignance. Logbook is just not important to me. I've also never been asked for one. I wonder what happens if you can't produce a logbook?

I wasn't implying that you were indignant, I was just thinking about how these threads usually play out. It sounds like the vast majority of people go through their diving careers never being asked for a logbook, so the only reason to keep one would be for your own purposes.

I guess it would depend on the dive operator and the country, whether they let you dive or not...

I always have my latest log book with me so no idea what will happen if I could not produce one when being asked.
You might have to do a check out dive in shallow water.

I have been refused once at Playa del Carmen for not having a C-card.

While i've never been asked to show one I am chronic for having more than one on the go at once - the 4 years missing from the PADI one are in the CMAS one, there's a couple of years in a Generic one I picked up at a dive shop in NZ, etc etc - I use Diviac dive log now and found it great. If anyone asks I have no problem showing them on my Ipad - ask me to put all the last 8 years and 4 log books in order and no chance. Happy with Diviac's product.

I think we all understand an operator's reluctance to let you dive without a cert card. Proving when last you dived is another kettle of fish. Are they just trying to establish your experience level? What happens after they look at your logbook? I assume it could affect the dive site location or who your buddy may be?

Back
Top Bottom