Log books mandatory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to keep a log book, but don't bother anymore since I've missed so many entries. There would be no way for me to remember when and where I dove, so in that case numbering dives is kind of a moot point. If I was to begin logging anything again I think I would just put down the date and any pertinent info about the site, gear used, etc. Maybe do a drawing or something.

One thing about dive boats and places that I've noticed.
I've been to Australia and they pretty much hold your hand and treat everybody like a five year old regardless, at least on the charter I was on. Maybe it's different on a liveaboard. They did ask to see my log book along with everything else. I think they just like to give Americans a healthy helping of s**t. They relaxed on the dive and actually let me get away from the crowd with my camera setup. I learned later that's pretty rare.

In Hawaii the DM just asked to see my card then asked where I was from and where I dove. When I told him I dove the North Coast of California his eyes lit up and he told me he was from Sacramento originally and used to dive the North Coast for abalone all the time. We talked about dive spots and other stuff blah blah blah, and I was in like flint.

On Southern California dive boats they could care less. As long as you have a C-Card and fill out and sign the waiver that's all they care. The first time I went on a trip down there I told the DM where I was from and the type of diving I'm used to and he was like, yawn, yeah whatever.

I think besides a log book and seeing something written down, a good DM on a charter boat will be more keen to or weary of seeing divers that are unfamiliar with their gear, fumbling around, not knowing how to set stuff up, keeping very quiet, seeing brand new gear that doesn't look like it's had any real use, and seeing gear that doesn't make any sense for the environment that they will be diving in. These would be greater concerns than looking at a log book to confirm someone's comfort or experience level for the upcoming dives.

My computer can show the date of my last dive. All they need. But, it can be fun to take a travel log book. My daughter does to get the cool stamps from faraway places. She loves showing that off to her friends. Adults dig that too. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.

The log is not something compulsory, but it can be useful for your own memory.

I know where I dive (Melbourne, Australia) the main operator has been known to ask for C-Cards and logs, especially for some of the deeper/ more difficult dives. I can understand it from their point of view.
It is a prima faecie way for them to understand what your skill level is, including what you have done before and when.
It means they have done a little due diligence, so if something goes wrong, they have at least tried to make sure you are able to handle the dive.

If you lie in your log, you are only lying to yourself, and risking getting yourself hurt.

I keep the log to try to help me remember the dive, but if it is useful for something else, then so much the better.

sand dollar asked me for mine in coz. but that was when i only had an ow cert, once i got tyhe nitrox and aow i have not been asked.

I'm diving with Sand Dollar on Saturday from the cruise I'm going on. I just got my OW cert with SDI, and I don't have a log book. The date on my cert (printed on my card) is 6/1/2010. Do you think I will have any problems with them? My instructer offered the log book, but I know how I am, and figured it would end up in a desk drawer and not be used, so I didn't grab one. I'm working towards my AOW once I get back, but since I'm going through the same instructor/LDS he said the log book isn't needed because he knows how many dives I will/have done.

I have heard, though not from any lawyers, that no waiver of any kind will protect a dive operator (airline, etc.) from a lawsuit based on their negligence.

Any truth in that? Any underwater lawyers out there with fact to backup/refute my fiction?

Waivers of negligence can be enforced, waivers of gross negligence cannot. Then there is the issue of comparative fault. In the case of airlines, the passengers rarely have anything to do with causing the crash. In the case of scuba, most of the screw up generally is with the diver.

I'm diving with Sand Dollar on Saturday from the cruise I'm going on. I just got my OW cert with SDI, and I don't have a log book. The date on my cert (printed on my card) is 6/1/2010. Do you think I will have any problems with them? My instructer offered the log book, but I know how I am, and figured it would end up in a desk drawer and not be used, so I didn't grab one. I'm working towards my AOW once I get back, but since I'm going through the same instructor/LDS he said the log book isn't needed because he knows how many dives I will/have done.

YOU WILL BE GOOD TO GO

They are looking for a couple of things, as you are a ow they are looking if you are an ow and havnt dove for a long time. the card date will take care of that. Next get a binder. put your first entry as completed ow certification. If you did 4 dives for the cert put them in there also. your next entries would be the sand dollar entries. they will have a sticker or ink stamp to stamp next to ,or over you sand dollar dives. this is the way dive logs are determined as legit or not. make an entry for each dive and get them stamped. when you getg back if you did not have time get the instructor to sign the ow sertification entry's. every time you dive keep some notes on the weight used the equipment used ie 3/2 shortie al 80s/c location and of course what kind of dive and what you did. enjoy drifting santa rosa and diving.

take your time getting your aow. master what you have learned so you can get fulladvantage of the newer aow skills. get at least a dozen or so ow's in before you graduate to the 60-100 zone. outside of the gulf there is not much below 60.

regards

keith

the only reason i use logs is because i can download the info and print direct from my suunto otherwise i would not keep them

It's all about liability and what backs up the waiver. Some operators will group their divers by experience and this helps. As a recreational diver in the late 60's the dive log was pretty much an option, but shown as a way to keep track of things that could be forgotten. As a Navy diver the logs were mandatory as they wanted to know who was doing what both divers and tenders. They especially wanted to keep track of how much primacord and C-4 we were using. When I was teaching recreational diving there was always a class roster showing the dives. So, I've probably not logged all of my dives over the past 42 years, but still keep a log for some of the fond memories. Now the old log sheets are coming in handy as I'm able to meet up with old students and see how many of them are still diving, etc.
I like the idea of going digital and using an app for the iphone or dive computer to help organize.

Get a log book, on the front put Volume 25 or whatever number, fill out a few pages. I started diving later in life and have logged almost 500 dives in just under 7 years. I want to see how many I can log before I can't get back on the boat anymore. Also log for reasons listed above, what I saw, water temp, wet suit thickness, bozo divers in the water, etc.

There is another factor to dive logs, In the event that you were to say collapse after a dive or for example while driving up a mountain after diving, it gives the hydrobaric doctor some dive history and can help with treatment, in the commercial world they are law and you must keep it on you.
Also if you were in a car accident it could help, certain pain meds can't be administrated while your dive active, you get to go on good old fashion morpthine ( i forget the name of the drug normally given at this exact time but it reacts badly to off gassing divers) mind you most paramedics won't know hydrobaric medicine but will call up the local doc and get advice
plus for operators it lets them assess you after all you could be just some idiot who bought a load of gear off ebay and swam round in a pool for a while.
I knew a guy who had done this, he bought a new regs set though and was telling me about how it was great, It had two second stages!!!!! i didn't know if i should laugh or cry as i told him about it being your back up and explaining buddy breathing etc,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom