Log books mandatory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to keep one then do so, if you don't then don't. I never have and I cannot recall ever being asked for one, I think the only time I was asked I flashed him the I card. I have never really been asked, my wife was asked once recently and she told them she was me and they dropped it.

I suppose if you are doing high level tech diving, rebreather diving, diving beyond your ordinary sport diving certifications I can see why you would want a log and I can see why as an operator I might ask to see it for something like recent experience with a rebreather.

I think the main thing a log might be good for is recording your memories, conditions etc for future reference, but, I don't care, too much work. If it comes to the point I need a book to remind me of my memories I probably want remember how to read either so.

N

FWIW I know a guy who was trainined in dry suit as part of his Public Safety Diver training, and never bothered to get a C card for it. A number of years later he was on a recreational dive trip in Alaska, DM asked to see C Cards for dry suit. He presented a log book showing his dry suit experience and didn't have any problems.

FWIW I know a guy who was trainined in dry suit as part of his Public Safety Diver training, and never bothered to get a C card for it. A number of years later he was on a recreational dive trip in Alaska, DM asked to see C Cards for dry suit. He presented a log book showing his dry suit experience and didn't have any problems.

GOOD TO HEAR THAT . the card should not be the only indication on experience.
i would guess though that the training aspect was covered by the log documenting the public service training.

I know some dive ops will ask you to show either your dive log, or your computer if you have one, to confirm you've dived within the last 6 months, the one I trained at required you to take a scuba review if you hadn't.

Likewise it can be necessary to show you qualify for courses with minimum number of dives in the prerequisites.

Personally I like my log book, I don't have many logged dives, (only four, lol) but in the future once I have more I think I will appreciate it even more. I am able to look back and tell how deep I went, for how long, what my air consumption was, when I went, what time of the day, the visibility, what I wore, and I can add comments about whether I liked the dive spot, what I would like to change (i.e. lower my amount of weights, maybe thinner wetsuit, etc.), and whether or not I think it's worth going back. I guess it is a personal preference whether or not you want to keep up with one, but they are usually required for further education and I have heard some locations and boats ask for them as well.

Ummm, which forum is this again?

As for me, stopped filling in a log book when I'd filled five. Still log technical / trimix / rebreather dives, but other than that just keep tally (1,895 so far).

I stopped keeping a log book years ago. My husband and I only carry-on and usually travel a month at a time (yes, with dive gear). A log book weighs you down. I tend to avoid agencies that say they "require" a log book. These agencies tend to want to hold your hand no matter how many dives you have and what your certification level is.

I stopped keeping a log book years ago. My husband and I only carry-on and usually travel a month at a time (yes, with dive gear). A log book weighs you down. I tend to avoid agencies that say they "require" a log book. These agencies tend to want to hold your hand no matter how many dives you have and what your certification level is.

What were you using as a log book, a stone tablet? :D

I dove down at Sandals in Jamacia this spring and they needed to see my log with a dive within the last 6 months. I had my AOW card and over 200 dives and they still made me do a pool check out becuse my recent dives weren't "stamped" by an instructor or dive shop. I will now ask my LDS to stamp a dive for me before another trip if it will save precious time and get me on one more dive.

I have been diving since 1965 and I have never bothered to keep a log book. The guys I had been diving with didn't keep logs and I hadn't even heard of divers' logs until sometime in the late '70s. I just didn't see the need for one even after I learned of their existence.

Recently, a friend of mine who owns the only LDS that I will use told me that dive ops require a log book and won't let you dive from their boats without one. If this is the case, what is a diver like me supposed to do?

Just another thing to clutter up and loose. N

Back
Top Bottom