Logged Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uwsince79,nice question..I have 3 seasons.Warm water in Jax(Mar-Dec)2-4 dives per week if possible including offshore, springs,sinks,cavern,cave and rivers.Depths fom 50' to 200'+.Cold water in Jax (Dec-Mar)2 dives a week ,mostly spearfishing in 90'-140'.August&September in the Keys,usually 2-6 dives per day.Depths from 20' to 200'+.I don't log ,but always have a downloadable computer on.Files are in C drive.How about max and min water temps ?Mine are from 48F to 90F

Water temps in a year of diving range from 32F ice water to 60-70F in the summer. There are times in Superior that the surface temp of the water is 55-60F, and the bottom temp is 36F. The average temperature we dive in is around 44F I'd guess.

Mike

UWSINCE79 -

I'm averaging 133.33 dives of various types per year since 1993. My island environment allows for lots of off duty get-wet time.

Our water temperature ranges from a frigid 78 - 79 degrees in the winter to a more acceptable 83 - 84 degrees in the summer. We work eight weeks on-island then go on a two week vacation.

I try to talk my wife into going on dive vacations on my two weeks off-island, but I'm not always sucessful.

This average does include training dives for my open water students, pleasure dives and dive vacations.

:boom:

Hello all.

I have a total of 165 dives logged. Average depth would be about 65'. Average bottom time probably around 40 minutes. I do most of my diving here in the Oregon / Washington area. I average about 50 dives a year with the last year being a little lax.

Scott

Hi Everyone,

51 dives in the past year all but 4 were in the Caribean. and no diving from December 00 til May 01. I hope to get in more local diving next year.

Tavi

My water temps range, goes from the low 30's (I have been digging through some very old logs from when I lived in NY and did some ice diving when the bay used to freeze over, to the 90's. I would say the most avg range in the last 24 months, coldest according to the PC Log is 50 degrees Fahrenheit /10 degrees Celsius to 90 degrees Fahrenheit/32 degrees Celsius.

LY- I have never dove in Superior but would love to, heard about some great diving up there.
I have dove quite a bit in Michigan in the early 90's, (not to technical) but I will admit one thing Florida has done to me is change my tollerance to cold (or is that age?). I now get chilly in a wet suit when the temp hits about 65 degrees / 18 c. I use to think that was hot water!!! HA!
:)

Ah, I can't wait. We'll be heading down south this Spring for some easy, relaxing, warm water diving for a change. I'm not sure where yet -- the Bahamas, Florida, or some place like Bonaire. Doesn't matter much so long as there's sun and reefs.

Mike

Hullo all

I was cogitating on TY's # of dives v hours UW. I log both, but have noticed most people only consider the former. I think there is different information contained in both stats. Unfortunately when I started logging it did not occur to me to separate the stats into different environments (other than cave) and I haven't felt like going back and refiguring. IMHO, that is a far more helpful measure of experience.

So I was wondering whate other hobbiests do. Pilots track hours in flight--do they also routinely track take offs & landings? Racers?

Also, I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I am new. What is a 'Yooper', and how did it come to be lost?

Thanks, all

I log, bottom time, deco, total time, number of dive, gas mix, problems if any, any type of gear configuration change, water & surface conditions, and drills that I do if a training dive, who I am diving with and boat/captain information, and a bunch of other stuff that qualifies me as very retentive.

I use a paper/PC to log? Plan my dives for the last six years, prior to that paper logs only.

What about the rest of the group, what do you record and Do you use a PC to log and/ plan your dives?

A yooper is name referencing someone from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Yoopers call people who live in the mitten part of Michigan (the Lower Peninsula) Trolls cuz they live under the bridge (Mackinaw Bridge which connects the UP to the Lower Peninsula). "Lost" can be totally relative to any given scenario in my case. :D

I'm not an agency kind of guy, for the most part, so I don't know all the intricacies of their policies, but I don't care for the flat prerequisite number of dives that are required to take certain classes. The number of dives one has doesn't necessarly equate to the real experience or skill the diver may have.

For example, you have a warm water OW instructor who is logging hundreds (or thousands) of open water dives, but the vast majority of which are repetitive training dives to very shallow depths. By comparison, take an informally trained cold water, dry suit diver (non instructor) doing advanced dives weekly or bi weekly. So, getting to the point, the latter diver is far more advanced than the instructor, but may have 25% of the dives the instructor has and perhaps even fewer pieces of plastic in his wallet.

So, when it comes time to take a scuba class where the shear number of dives are the primary determinate, there can be a significant dilema. There's a lot more that should be looked at than the total number of dives to determine real experience and skill level. I don't know, maybe some agencies have clauses that allow an instructor to make a judgment call by taking into account more relevant information to determine whether a prospective student is qualified to take a course.

Done writing. :)

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom