Logged Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read the above responses and have to agree with several. I do not agree that number of dives alone is a good qualifier of experience. I do believe that more information needs to be addressed in addtion to number of dives:

• Hours underwater
  • Type of equipment used (ie 3mm wetsuit versus a drysuit and FFM)
  • Type of conditions dived in (ie pretty carribean waters or cold dark low vis lakes)
  • Types of dives (ie warm carribean dives versus shipwreck penetrations in L. Superior, or current and choppy surface conditions versus calm)
  • Depth and time and number of dives at that depth. I mean can a diver be qualified for deeper dives if they have 1000 30 foot dives under their belt?

On the logging side: well, sometimes I do, sometimes I forget to, and I'm still looking for the logging system that works best (paper versus PC). I need to learn how to utilize Excel (or other sheet) or a database that can help me keep track of stats, but there just isn't enough time in the day to do that just yet. But, I log as much as I can from equipment and weight used, to conditions dived to what the objective was and so forth.

Cheers :)

jmsdiver,

If you'd like, I can send you a copy of the Excel spreadsheet I use to log my dives. Send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to share. That goes for anyone interested.

DSSW,

WWW™

As an instructor I logged (yes, in 98 log books!) 4439 dives. Giving me an average time per dive of 37.4 minutes per dive. Which is ...
166,018 minutes
2767 hours
115.3 days
3.91 months.
Then there were the 300 or so that were not logged ...
That was in five years. I have been back in the UK for over one year now and I have dived for 7 minutes. That was 6.9 minutes too long.

Still looking for presidency to the CAD club. Warm water only.

I dive fewer then some but more then others with an average depth just above the bottom but well below the surface. :confused:

Looks like I'm averaging 70 dives a year. Most are two-tank dives in the Gulf of Mexico. First dive is usually around 90 fsw, followed by 70-90 fsw.

One live-aboard a year is good for 20-25 of the 70 dives per year. I'd like to plan for 2 live-aboards each year. :D

I log all my dives, but my entries for local diving are more "diary" than "database", i.e., "what I did and saw" instead of "how much lead and ending PSI".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom