Logging Pool Dives

Should pool dives count as logged dives?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question is poorly written. Not sure what a logged dive is in this question. I didn't answer because the question is so vague. Do you mean Should it count as a dive towards some certification? or if you log pool dives? No it shouldn't count towards some dive count for some certification. Dive operators can make their own determination on what of your dives in a log counts to meet their company policy on dives.

Everyones dive log is their own, log what you want. If at some point you want to go for an advance cert that requires a certian number of dives, realize pool dives dont' count. If your trying to drum your chest on dive counts, if you count these many will look down on you so I wouldn't use those. As stated above a dive operator may or may not consider time in a pool for his company policy.

Yes, that's what it boils down to. If you are taking a course that requires a certain number of logged dives, just make sure you have enough of these -- ei. don't count pool dives, 5 foot dives, 5 minute dives, etc. Then again, I've never been asked by an instructor (OR dive charter) to show my log book, even for DM course.

So here is a variation on this question... So for the purpose of really stirring the pot, an aquarium is basically a big pool with fish and fake features. And just to mix it up a bit more, I have heard of an aquarium that offers, or did offer, a PADI distinctive specialty in aquarium diving. I have also heard of a dive shop that does altitude certifications in an aquarium. So, do aquarium dives count toward whatever certification you may be seeking? And if they do, then why not a pool where you spend an hour at the bottom working on buoyancy skills and other such things?

This is an often-asked question, and always seems to get some interesting answers.

I teach a number of programs for which the agency standards specify <at least N dives>. We usually exceed that minimum number and also the minimum number of minutes of bottom-time suggested by standards (which seems to average out at 100... far too few for most classes).

Anyhow, the point is that although I may spend a couple of hours in a pool with students (far, far more with CCR candidates) NONE of that time nor any of those "dives" counts towards meeting standards.

The experience gained is valuable -- otherwise I would not waste my student's time -- but we do not count pool sessions as dives.

Just another take on the situation.

Doppler, I definitely get that especially for people that have 5K plus dives. It is pointless to log one more day in the pool. Just playing devil's advocate with the 20/20 rule. So here is another situation. September 2011 I spent a few days at Marathon Key diving. Several of those dives were between 17 - 20 feet and 40 plus minutes. Just after that I did a drift dive on Rainbow river that was no deeper than about 8 feet. Recently I spent a weekend diving just off Fort Lauderdale FL where some of the dives were at the 10 foot mark for about 35 minutes. So the devil's advocate question becomes...Do those dives count? They certainly don't qualify by the 20/20 rule or the 15/20 rule in some cases.

I have done several pool dives where i stayed between 11 - 12 feet for almost 90 minutes working on buoyancy, breath control and using a new camera or testing new equipment to get the feel of it. Does 90 minutes at 11 feet count?

So again to stir the pot, is the 20/20 rule a real rule, a true standard or a tradition? Standards and rules evolve and some standards and rules become more relaxed over time.

Doppler, I definitely get that especially for people that have 5K plus dives. It is pointless to log one more day in the pool. Just playing devil's advocate with the 20/20 rule. So here is another situation. September 2011 I spent a few days at Marathon Key diving. Several of those dives were between 17 - 20 feet and 40 plus minutes. Just after that I did a drift dive on Rainbow river that was no deeper than about 8 feet. Recently I spent a weekend diving just off Fort Lauderdale FL where some of the dives were at the 10 foot mark for about 35 minutes. So the devil's advocate question becomes...Do those dives count? They certainly don't qualify by the 20/20 rule or the 15/20 rule in some cases.

I have done several pool dives where i stayed between 11 - 12 feet for almost 90 minutes working on buoyancy, breath control and using a new camera or testing new equipment to get the feel of it. Does 90 minutes at 11 feet count?

So again to stir the pot, is the 20/20 rule a real rule, a true standard or a tradition? Standards and rules evolve and some standards and rules become more relaxed over time.

First and foremost, it is your log and you can log anything you want.

If I spent 90 min in a pool at 10' I would log it just because, for me, it is so bizzare. I, personally, would not number it because it is a pool dive but could understand if you did.

Recenty I started logging dives again and any dive outside a pool that I use compressed gas I log. If an instructor want's to see if I had the experience for his class then he can weed through it and count the ones he liked. For example if he is looking for experience below 100', a lot of dives won't count.

The 20/20 rule was used to slow divers down and have them gain experience on their way to DM, I don't know if it's still used as I have seen some real green DM's.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I&#8217;m not dead yet.

I have no problem with someone learning or practicing buoyancy and trim in a pool or an aquarium and logging that as a training dive. That is why I always ask, "Outside of training, how many open water dives have you logged?" That is the number, in my mind, for prerequisites.

You can log the five training sessions of the rescue diver as dives. Otherwise not normally.

Those dives are done in Open Water, and need to be logged to complete the cert. Regardless, not pool dives.

You can log the five training sessions of the rescue diver as dives. Otherwise not normally.

If it does not involve a pressure exposure it does not get "logged." Two of the rescue senarios ("distressed diver on the surface" and "Unresponsive diver on the surface, Exiting the unresponsive diver and First aid") may not have a pressure exposure.

I kinda split the difference. I do log pool dives but don't assign them a number. I figure I might use the logged info at a future date.
Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom