Lol... Discovery's Dual Survival... Single tank cave diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

effin' magnets, how do they work? lol

Just like the BCD: "put water in"

edit: never mind, I didn't realize they weren't going to dive out of the cave. Putting [drinking] water in the BC is actually a pretty good idea in these absurd circumstances.

Well, I think the whole thing was to get the "heros" stuck in a cave with no way to get out the way they came in and give them a strange set of resources. Of course, if you know anything about cave diving, the premise is laughable.

I saw another one of those survival shows where the protagonist had to cross a "river" in the Everglades. Well the everglades is actually a wide, very shallow river. What he was crossing was the canal dug when the Tamiami Trail was made. You could see cars go by if you looked at the right place.

You mean I should abandon my 5 mile cave push on a single tank and headlamp? Bummer.

I think you need one of those arm band tatts also. Otherwise, you're screwed.

I think you need one of those arm band tatts also. Otherwise, you're screwed.

Oh you're right. I'm off to get to get that tat!

Now y'all know why I don't watch TV ...

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozin' out
From your TV set

(Frank Zappa)

... so why do they call 'em "Reality Shows" anyway?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Magnets in the mask?
(url removed)

Well, what do you know about that? I was trained in mask clearing, used to be a spitter, and just gravitated to Johnson's baby shampoo formula. Isn't technology wonderful?

I have used these. They do actually work pretty well for clearing fog during a dive.

There are a couple significant issues though. First is that they don't last very long - the coating gets cracked really easily and then it starts to rust after a few dives. They also tend to attract some sand particles which have magnetic properties. I suppose they do still work even when rusty, but the particles could scratch your mask.

My wife managed to lose the ones I put in her mask on the first dive. At least they are relatively inexpensive...

If anyone cares, I'll take some pics and you can see what I mean regarding the rust issue.

-Josh

Here's what they SHOULD have shown: the two "cave" divers make that dive, with combat boots, single tanks, and defogging magnets (oh, and throw in split fins too). They make it out of the cave, come here to ScubaBoard, and post about their dive in the Accidents and Incidents forum.

Will they survive the unmitigated, vicious evisceration they'll experience??

Now THAT would be entertainment! :D

I always just let a little water in, slosh it around and then clear the mask. My mask doesn't fog that often, but when it does that method works every time.

I always just let a little water in, slosh it around and then clear the mask. My mask doesn't fog that often, but when it does that method works every time.

This is how I've always done it. Why re-invent the wheel when it ain't broke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom