Long Distance Relationship Advice Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LDR's work by one or the other moving, otherwise, I agree with Wormil...

Sometimes in life you have to make sacrifices. Sadly for me, there are no law schools in the BVI. No regrets.

Thanks for all the great responses so far, well most of them anyway :D

I saw your new thread at lunch, when you first posted it. Figured MY advice you would not like. :idk:

Now, when you are ready to #$%&*-up a relationship, ld or local, I CAN be of service! :D :D

Seriously, relationships are tough enough when you can look each other in the eye. On the other hand maybe having a continent or two between you could keep things fresh! At least the other party can't see your eyes wander during a "discussion". :wink:

:rofl3::rofl3: I knew I could count on you for some entertainment here :kiss2:

Uh, how did you meet?

Romance can start online, but if you do not know how to trace emails to country of origin, you need to learn quickly.

wow DD, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, stuff like that has been going on since before I started dating, what happened to the good old days they tried to scam you looking you straight in the eye? :D

That's just a good example of why it's good to stop being pathetic.

don't be pathetic, check, got it :wink:

How did you meet? On vacation. Introduced by a mutual friend.
Did the relationship start out as long distance or local? Long distance
What was the distance apart? 2900 miles
How often did you see each other? Once per year
What were the modes of communication? ie voice, text, im, webcam None really. A little webcam once in a while.
How often did you communicate? Just annually
What were 3 challenges of a LDR and how did you cope with them? Often look at pictures of her. Close my eyes and try to remember what it was like to be with her.
What were 3 things that you did which contributed to the LDR's success? Always be in a good mood when I'm with her. Always look at the positives and ignore the negatives. Minimal time together means we need to focus on the good and not the bad. Ignore a bad meal. Ignore poor weather, etc.
How long did the LDR last? 3 years so far
If applicable, how long was it before one of you relocated? Hasn't happened yet. Probably won't.
How did it turn out? So far so good.
Would you do it again and why/not? Absolutely.
Is there anything you would have done differently, if so, what? Nope.

If there is anything else I should have asked? Her name. Her name is BONAIRE.
:D

(sorry for that.):eyebrow:

:rofl3: cute :D Going to Bonaire for the first time in June, looking forward to seeing what her allure is :bounce4:

wow DD, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, stuff like that has been going on since before I started dating, what happened to the good old days they tried to scam you looking you straight in the eye? :D
Okee dokee, cool. :thumb: I have seen intelligent people lose that way before, but you seem prepared. Go for it...!

Is a mail order bride considered a "long distance relationship"?

If you have experience with long distance relationships, your input on the following questions would be greatly appreciated :D

How did you meet? He sent me a PM here on ScubaBoard saying that he noticed that I'm a kayak diver and he thought we had a lot in common.

Did the relationship start out as long distance or local? Long distance

What was the distance apart? 1200 miles...and a sea. I'm in Florida, he's in the USVI.

How often did you see each other? He came to meet me 2 months after our initial online meeting. We spent the best ten days of my entire life. I came to his home a month later for 16 days, the best 16 days of my entire life. I'm headed back in two months (after we both accumulate more vacation) and I simply can't wait.

What were the modes of communication? ie voice, text, im, webcam ScubaBoard PM, then e-mail, then cell phone and text messaging.

How often did you communicate? Several times daily.

What were 3 challenges of a LDR and how did you cope with them?
Missing him. Coping by realizing we'll be together soon.
Lackanookie. Coping by realizing we'll be together soon.
Loneliness uncured by lots of time with friends. Coping by realizing we'll be together soon. Photographs help. A lot.

What were 3 things that you did which contributed to the LDR's success? Honesty. Frequent communications. Photographs.

How long did the LDR last? We are at five months and growing closer daily.

If applicable, how long was it before one of you relocated? I'm moving there in July; we will know each other 11 months at that time.

How did it turn out? As yet unknown, but I'm very optimistic that this is forever. He's simply the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Would you do it again and why/not? Not just yes, but hell yes.

Is there anything you would have done differently, if so, what? Not a thing. I was a bit cold to his initial advances, but he persisted. I told him I wasn't playing hard to get...I WAS hard to get!!! I'm so glad he persisted, he is THE BEST.

If there is anything else I should have asked? no, but we'd love to know WHY you're asking. :blinking:

You may wonder why we don't do Skype or webcam...we're a couple of hyper people and can't sit still at a computer. Cell phone is great, we can be on the move as we chat. Just mentioning this in case you were wondering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom