Long hose around neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, he is clearly using sarcasm to illustrate the difference between correlation and causation and the faulty logic that can result when the two get confused.

Such as: The vast majority of divers who die in diving accidents have at least one dive certification - therefore dive certifications cause diving deaths and should be eliminated.

That might be true for PADI on line learning certs, :D but in all other cases eliminating training and certification will obviously not reduce diving accidents.

In the same vein, a large number of cave diver use a long hose, and similarly a loarge number of cave divers who died had one, but that very strong correlation still has no relationship to the causes of the accidents. The shop owner in question just demonstrated poor word choice with "wrapped around their necks" unintentionally implying strangulation or entanglement as a cause of accidents and/or safety concern.

Yes, he is clearly using sarcasm to illustrate the difference between correlation and causation and the faulty logic that can result when the two get confused.

Such as: The vast majority of divers who die in diving accidents have at least one dive certification - therefore dive certifications cause diving deaths and should be eliminated.

That might be true for PADI on line learning certs, :D but in all other cases eliminating training and certification will obviously not reduce diving accidents.

In the same vein, a large number of cave diver use a long hose, and similarly a loarge number of cave divers who died had one, but that very strong correlation still has no relationship to the causes of the accidents. The shop owner in question just demonstrated poor word choice with "wrapped around their necks" unintentionally implying strangulation or entanglement as a cause of accidents and/or safety concern.

That was exactly what I was thinking he was saying, but there seem to be some tongue in cheek going on.

By the way, I hear to do a nice job fixing regs. Do you work out of a shop here in the VA area??

Actually the long hose does not get "wrapped around their necks" .. it goes underneath the right arm, across the chest, over the left shoulder, and behind the diver's head. The regulator then goes in the diver's mouth from the right side. At no point does the regulator go around the diver's neck. Strangulation from this configuration is a physical impossibility if the diver has the long hose routed properly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think he is trying to say the long hose configuration was not the cause of the incidents and should not be considered just because that configuration was a common factor. He also pointed out that thermal protection is a common factor as well, but should not be considered as a contributing cause. They probably all entered with fins and a mask, but again.....

That's how I read it.

Actually the long hose does not get "wrapped around their necks" .. it goes underneath the right arm, across the chest, over the left shoulder, and behind the diver's head. The regulator then goes in the diver's mouth from the right side. At no point does the regulator go around the diver's neck. Strangulation from this configuration is a physical impossibility if the diver has the long hose routed properly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Unless you're short . . . in which case, it goes underneath the right arm, down under your waist band, curls to come back up through the waist band, across the chest, over the left shoulder, and behind the diver's head.

:wink:

Unless you're short . . . in which case, it goes underneath the right arm, down under your waist band, curls to come back up through the waist band, across the chest, over the left shoulder, and behind the diver's head.

Even tall divers have to tuck it some in the waist band if it's not looped under a can light, or some other attachment on the right side.

... that's assuming you're talking about a 7-foot hose. A 5-foot hose is still a long-hose, and it won't tuck into your waist band (or under a canister light) ... unless you're really short ... :wink:

You're correct, of course ... I was attempting to be a bit more generic to accommodate different length hoses ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... that's assuming you're talking about a 7-foot hose. A 5-foot hose is still a long-hose, and it won't tuck into your waist band (or under a canister light) ... unless you're really short ... :wink:

You're correct, of course ... I was attempting to be a bit more generic to accommodate different length hoses ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You won't believe how long it took me to get the "long hose" answer when I first got one! I finally went to ONESPEED to ask about PrincessE.

Back
Top Bottom