Long hose around neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was reading a cave divers stores website from FL. On one of his pages he talks about the deaths in caves. but mentions of those deaths many had the hose wrapped around their neck. Why is this? Is the hose around the neck not proper procedure for cave diving with the long hose? I know nothing about cave diving but found the info from his page interesting.

Here is the info from his webpage, which explains it better than I do. Am I reading this wrong??

Because of the probability that some of the last deaths of certified cave divers in the caves have been from solo diving, the proposal to add a sixth rule to accident analysis is absurd. Of the over 30 certified cave divers who have perished in underwater caves, approximately 25 of them had the long hoses wrapped around their necks. Is that reason to add another rule to accident analysis? All who have perished have been wearing exposure protection, whether wet or dry, is that a reason to add a rule. When people who do not have the experience or knowledge to properly evaluate the situations and randomly propose rule changes I get upset.

I was reading a cave divers stores website from FL. On one of his pages he talks about the deaths in caves. but mentions of those deaths many had the hose wrapped around their neck. Why is this? Is the hose around the neck not proper procedure for cave diving with the long hose? I know nothing about cave diving but found the info from his page interesting.

Here is the info from his webpage, which explains it better than I do. Am I reading this wrong??

Because of the probability that some of the last deaths of certified cave divers in the caves have been from solo diving, the proposal to add a sixth rule to accident analysis is absurd. Of the over 30 certified cave divers who have perished in underwater caves, approximately 25 of them had the long hoses wrapped around their necks. Is that reason to add another rule to accident analysis? All who have perished have been wearing exposure protection, whether wet or dry, is that a reason to add a rule. When people who do not have the experience or knowledge to properly evaluate the situations and randomly propose rule changes I get upset.

He seems to be aiming for sarcasm/satire.

He's refering (with humor/sarcasm, I think) to divers who use a Hogarthian configuration with their long hose. As most cave/tech divers will route their long hoses around their necks (not wrapped around/encircling them), it points to the absurdity of the statistics he is citing.

I think he is trying to say the long hose configuration was not the cause of the incidents and should not be considered just because that configuration was a common factor. He also pointed out that thermal protection is a common factor as well, but should not be considered as a contributing cause. They probably all entered with fins and a mask, but again.....

They were also under the water, which seems to be the single most common factor in nearly all diving accidents, not just those in cave diving.

A new rule keeping all divers above the water would go a long way in preventing any more dive accidents. IJS. :D

Thanks guys, I was thinking that the long hose was routed around the neck, but have never read anything about that causing deaths. I just wanted to confirm if I had missed something or not.

My god! I'll be diving this weekend. Is it safe to use my mask even if I don't dive in a cave?

They were also under the water, which seems to be the single most common factor in nearly all diving accidents, not just those in cave diving.

A new rule keeping all divers above the water would go a long way in preventing any more dive accidents. IJS. :D

That would make them swimming accidents, I think.:D

My god! I'll be diving this weekend. Is it safe to use my mask even if I don't dive in a cave?

Did you read the warning lable before using that mask? As you surface you should wear your mask on your forhead, that should get some attention.:wink:

Reactions: Jax

Unless you are traveling in a motor vehicle (which has a much higher mortality rate than diving), as long as you stay out of the water while you are diving, you should be relatively safe from any major diving accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom