long hose position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hakura

Registered
Reaction score
hello, tek friends
my name is min.
I am just wondering why long hose is generally be placed in right side?

I'm assuming you mean a long hose routed under the right arm, and behind the left side of the neck.

If you route it on the left side, the hose will have to come into the reg from the other side.

Not sure exaclty what you mean.

Most second stages have the hose entering on the right side so the right side hose routing is natural.

Some regs can be switched and some (poseidens and other side exahust designs) are ambidextrous and can go either way but it is still much more common to see a right hand hose routing due to to the predominance of right hand intake fittings on second stages.

On the other hand if you are referring to putting the primary reg/long hose on the right post or right hand tank, I think it is largely a matter of personal choice.

Personally I think it works better for hose routing purposes to have the primary long hose reg on the right post. However one advantage of putting the primary reg on the left post is that you will know imediately if the valve is rolled off during a dive.

DA Aquamaster:
. . . one advantage of putting the primary reg on the left post is that you will know imediately if the valve is rolled off during a dive.
Yes, but if you have the primary on the right post, in a gas sharing situation, you will now be on the left post and will know if the valve is rolled off and can fix it right away so both of you have gas. If the primary is on the left post, in an OOG situation the person on the long hose being out of gas would now face the situation of trying to try to get your attention to let you know he is not getting gas if the valve is rolled off. So I prefer for it to be on the right post. To add a little more to Min's question, if you are not doing cave diving, the left post valve rolling off would not really be an issue (the right one would roll open in a cave). But once you start down the Tech path, you may start getting into cave diving. So it is better to start with an equipment configuration that will work in all possible situation so you do not need to change it later and have to re-teach yourself and re-familiarize yourself with a different configuration.

DA Aquamaster:
Personally I think it works better for hose routing purposes to have the primary long hose reg on the right post. However one advantage of putting the primary reg on the left post is that you will know imediately if the valve is rolled off during a dive.

I would agree with DA (as usual). Especially if you are not diving in an overhead environment where roll-off is not a hazard, I also prefer my primary long hose on the right post. It adds an extra foot to the length of the hose and at the same time reduces clutter behind your head if you are not crossing over your hoses (i don't) Lastly it also shortens your octo hose buy forcing it to the Left post and lowering your profile.

rescuediver009:
I would agree with DA (as usual). Especially if you are not diving in an overhead environment where roll-off is not a hazard, I also prefer my primary long hose on the right post. It adds an extra foot to the length of the hose and at the same time reduces clutter behind your head if you are not crossing over your hoses (i don't) Lastly it also shortens your octo hose buy forcing it to the Left post and lowering your profile.

Exactly......but I do not understand how you are not "crossing over your hoses". If your octo is on your left post, how does it not cross your right post unless the reg is coming over your left side/sholder?

DepartureDiver:
To add a little more to Min's question, if you are not doing cave diving, the left post valve rolling off would not really be an issue (the right one would roll open in a cave). But once you start down the Tech path, you may start getting into cave diving. So it is better to start with an equipment configuration that will work in all possible situation so you do not need to change it later and have to re-teach yourself and re-familiarize yourself with a different configuration.

DD,

You don't necessarly have to be a cave diver to be concerned about rolling off a valve in an overhead environment, don't forget about wreck penetration. I live in South Florida so I don't see any caves but I do see quite a few wrecks that have some great penetration.

CNTdiver:
Exactly......but I do not understand how you are not "crossing over your hoses". If your octo is on your left post, how does it not cross your right post unless the reg is coming over your left side/sholder?
I was referring to the 'cross-over' technique that some divers use to route their hoses (i.e.- Bc hose from the right post crosses behind the diver to the left shoulder as with the hp hose, and the drysuit inflator crosses from the left post and comes behind the diver and underthe right arm). Don't ask why, I am sure that there is a good reason, but I can only think that if your hoses are all just a little long it would reduce your profile. Me, I don't have a problem with this so I just route them straight with the octo being the only hose that crosses over. Probably a little more than the explanation you were looking for...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom