Long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well, long-ish. Have just replaced my hoses with some nice miflex ones, and primary on 5' hose. I've used it once in the pool. Loved it and nowhere near as tricky as I thought it would be.

So quick question: I'm unlikely to be able to try it out in 'real life' before my next trip, which is to Cocos, so I'm probably unlikely to come across any challenges that the configuration might pose - are there any things to watch out for or to avoid with the long hose config - wrapped under right arm and around neck?

Cheers,
J

Have a plan to clip the primary off to your BCD if you switch to your alternate or while the rig is sitting on the boat.

Have a plan to clip the primary off to your BCD if you switch to your alternate or while the rig is sitting on the boat.

Cheers for that, makes sense.

So, what do you do with it then? I *guess* I'd just jam it in to top right D ring on BC. On boat, would prob just wrap around neck of tank few times and again, jam in top right D ring or clip. Am absolutely no adverse to any tips from people who've done it before! :)

Thanks,
John

You should do a :search: in the dir forum or take a look at the frogkick website.

Have you tried deploying it to an OOA diver? You have to tuck your chin to your chest to get the long hose around the back of your neck. When you do so, you want to use your right hand to grab the regulator hose right next to the second stage (and not the second stage itself). Once the long hose is free, you use your left hand to grab your bungeed backup and put that in your mouth.

It's easy to "trap" a long hose and prevent it from fully deploying if you put it on before you put on the backup necklace; it's also easy to forget to put on the backup necklace. All of this can lead to increased stress or panic in the event of an actual emergency.

The main point I'm trying to get at here is that you should try to talk to someone locally who has been trained with the long hose BEFORE you go on vacation, they can give you tips on what to do and not to do, typical mistakes and fixes, and help practice donating stowing a few times to get you comfortable with the system.

You should also learn to do a mod-S drill on every dive before getting in the water (this drill catches nearly every mistake you can make setting up the long-hose).

A long hose is a tad more complicated to use than a typical primary/octo setup so it pays to be familiar with it. Once you've spent that initial 10 minutes, it's a piece of cake and you can really start taking advantage of it.

Edit: You also need to make sure you inform whoever you dive with about the long hose routing, how it works, and how you will donate to them. Make sure they know that your primary is their octo, and be prepared for possibility that if they have a problem, they may grab the long hose reg right out of your mouth.

Cheers for that, makes sense.

So, what do you do with it then? I *guess* I'd just jam it in to top right D ring on BC. On boat, would prob just wrap around neck of tank few times and again, jam in top right D ring or clip. Am absolutely no adverse to any tips from people who've done it before! :)

Thanks,
John

Most folks tie a bolt snap to the 2nd stage (at the hose) and clip that off on the right chest D-ring. I zip tie a tank valve o-ring (214) to mine and then use a double ender when I need to clip it off.

I spent a couple of hours with it in the pool doing OOG drills plus others. Found it pretty ok but yes, a little more tricky but not much. This was compensated for tho by a) necklaced octo (brill) and b) flexible long hose. My buddy had short inflexible hose and much less comfortable swimming alongside sharing air.

Ok, so showing ignorance here - what's a mod-S drill? I can't practise it if I dont know what it is.

In terms of talking to someone local before I go - no chance, unfortunately. Hence my questions here. I've also injured myself (nothing serious despite earlier rantings - broken ribs and sliced arm 5 stitches) so I'm totally out of the water for another couple week, maybe ten days.

I'm nervous of new things when diving hence the questions, and I will be less fit and less 'dived' than I'd hoped before the trip so trying to mitigate now.

I do like the set up however, particularly the necklaced secondary.

Most folks tie a bolt snap to the 2nd stage (at the hose) and clip that off on the right chest D-ring. I zip tie a tank valve o-ring (214) to mine and then use a double ender when I need to clip it off.

You'd never have a photo of that would you? And what's a bolt snap? Please excuse my ignorance - I learn what I learn here, on the occasional dvd and through meeting divers mostly on vacation (for work, family and boats constantly cancelled reasons, difficult for me to get out often here so much lingo new to me) I may well have several bolt snaps, just wouldn't know what they're called.

Ta,
J

One thing to keep in mind with the long hose is that you have to keep the right side of your body fairly clean for it to deploy easily.

If you were used to clip a large light, camera or slate on your right (chest or hip), consider moving it left. Stowed lights (snug against the harness) and small items usually aren't an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom