Long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I attach my bolt snaps with cave line. HERE is a "how to" on attaching bolt snaps with cave line. I attach my bolt snap right to the hose, where the metal fitting meets the hose, this way if I want to clip my primary off at any time, it's right in place for me to grab and snap in one motion (sometimes it's as smooth as it sounds....sometimes not so much! It takes practice and I'm still getting there).

Ok, so I really am geekier than I realised but thanks for the pointer and tip.

I've been screwing around with line a bolts for a while now to try to make things smooth. It's very trial and error. My first outing was with a reef hook but since then for my lamp and other odds and ends that didn't really seem to fit anywhere. It is kinda tricky.

I'm an climber - ok, ex-climber - so ropes and knots I'm pretty comfortable with. I'll give your set up a shot but I can see why a zip tie would make sense, maybe more than some line/rope. Question - are you attaching your primary to your 'device, (including D-ring) or your device (including primary) to your D-ring. See what I mean?

Thanks again,
J

Question - are you attaching your primary to your 'device, (including D-ring) or your device (including primary) to your D-ring. See what I mean?

I'm not quite sure if I understand what you're asking, but I'll answer what I think your question is (if I don't answer it, just let me know and I'll try again :D).

I attach the bolt snap to my long hose (the loop part at the bottom, not the part that opens and closes), where the hose meets the metal fitting. When I don't want my primary in my mouth, I grab the hose and open the gate on the bolt snap....I hook this onto my chest d-ring and close the gate to let it hang there, out of the way.

Did that answer your question? Or did I read it wrong?

Nope, you read it right. However, most (not all) of my 'gold things' aka snap bolts have snaps both ends so as long as they're wide enough (and they probably aren't) I could just slip hose in there. Or am I missing something this time?

Thanks and sorry for being confusing!

J

You might also consider bagging the snorkel if you haven't already come to the conclusion it gets in the way of deploying a long hose

see attached pic of bolt snap on long hose

Attachments

• BlueGrotto(9).jpg
    BlueGrotto(9).jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 62
Nope, you read it right. However, most (not all) of my 'gold things' aka snap bolts have snaps both ends so as long as they're wide enough (and they probably aren't) I could just slip hose in there. Or am I missing something this time?

J

The bolt snaps with gates at both ends are called double-enders. They have their place, but people don't typically use those for the regulator hose because the bolt snaps there are meant to be permanent - you don't want it accidentally coming off the hose. So you use the bolt snaps that have one snap gate and a closed loop at the other end, and you use the cave line to tie the loop onto the regulator hose next to the second stage body, which leaves the end with the snap to swing freely.

J

That means you have double ender bolt snaps. You'll want to get one that has the ring at the bottom (and no gate that opens) and then the gate at the top. If you were to clip onto your hose, the snap would move freely along the length of it....unless you were to attach it with cave line, but at some point, that could probably loosen up enough that if you opened the attached end, it could slip out.

Find some SS bolt snaps (do not get ones from a hardware store or anything as they WILL rust quickly!) and attach it onto the hose. Shouldn't be an expensive addition!

You might also consider bagging the snorkel if you haven't already come to the conclusion it gets in the way of deploying a long hose

Hate to sound snobby but it's been a while since I've carried a snorkel. If I had more space then yeah I'd have one bagged. But I'm all for streamlined. I even slide my LPH underneath my chest clips as I don't really use it.

I am though seriously running out places to keep stuff but guess keeping it minimal has a lot of benefits - less for me to forget to start with!

That means you have double ender bolt snaps. You'll want to get one that has the ring at the bottom (and no gate that opens) and then the gate at the top. If you were to clip onto your hose, the snap would move freely along the length of it....unless you were to attach it with cave line, but at some point, that could probably loosen up enough that if you opened the attached end, it could slip out.

Find some SS bolt snaps (do not get ones from a hardware store or anything as they WILL rust quickly!) and attach it onto the hose. Shouldn't be an expensive addition!

Yep double enders and can see what you mean - yeah, if it fits in the gate it would probably slide. I'll get down and get some SS bolt snaps. I'm still a tiny bit confused but it's well late and have had few glasses of wine so prob best I shut up now and reconvene tomorrow.

Thanks a mill to you and everyone else that's been so kind to share their tips - it's what it's all about!

Night (this time I mean it - conf call in 6 hours :(),
J

You can also use a plain old o-ring - I used a spare tank valve o-ring - to attach a bolt snap to your long hose. I've found it to be just as secure as using cave-line, and it took all of two seconds to attach!

You can also use a plain old o-ring - I used a spare tank valve o-ring - to attach a bolt snap to your long hose. I've found it to be just as secure as using cave-line, and it took all of two seconds to attach!

I like your idea and am trying to implement it as we speak, in my bedroom, kids milling around. I'm clearly missing something. I'm leaning towards the 'I am clearly stupid' statement but will save that for the moment.

How do you get the o-ring to attach to the (non gated end) bolt snap? This looks like one of those tricks you see at kids birthday parties where the magician manages to joining two independent hoops.

Any enlightenment?

Thx,
J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom