longer primary hose after getting an air2 - what length and type?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of note, my Z2 first stage purchased at the same time is marked >10C on the seal that is replaced when the cold/sealing kit is installed. Obviously installing the cold kit/sealing the reg addresses this problem for diving in cold water
Yes, the markings apply to the specific configuration tested. Modifications and mixing/matching of componenents are not covered by the standard.

I have an atomic T3 titanium reg and shearwater perdix A.I. computer. why ? because on my open water classes i ran out of air at depth and reg said i had 650 psi

And yet a mid range reg with a decent SPG would have been fine. Why did you choose the T3 apart from some sales hype?

Diving Dubai, cat gotcher tongue?

@saxman242
I am not an expert on the historical CE specs, but I think EN250 is an older mark that evaluated performance at depth, and maybe temp, but not depth AND temp together. My understanding is with the current marks you are looking for EN250A without the >10°C qualifier for it to be CW rated. Perhaps someone from across the pond can weigh in on that.

I completely agree that the EN250 mark seems to be older than the EN250:2014 mark one would want to see for something tested now. The SS1 has been around for a while, so I would be surprised if they went through a retest phase.

The documentation I found on EN 250 states a requirement for testing in 2-4C water to pass. I do not know if this was concurrent with testing at pressure. What I could find did state that a reg marked EN250 was appropriate for use in <10C however.
This, of course, is based on the limited info I have been able to find on the EN250 standards prior to the 2014 update. I very easily could be mistaken.

For a second stage, one would hope to see something marked EN250:2014 ideally. EN250A:2014 would be something you'd want to see on a first stage as the "A" designates the ability to support multiple second stages in the cold.

Yes, the markings apply to the specific configuration tested. Modifications and mixing/matching of componenents are not covered by the standard.
At least in the case of the atomic z2/z3 and b2 first stages, adding the sealing/coldwater kit isn't a nonstandard configuration, it's a factory option.

I completely agree that the EN250 mark seems to be older than the EN250:2014 mark one would want to see for something tested now. The SS1 has been around for a while, so I would be surprised if they went through a retest phase.

The documentation I found on EN 250 states a requirement for testing in 2-4C water to pass. I do not know if this was concurrent with testing at pressure. What I could find did state that a reg marked EN250 was appropriate for use in <10C however.
This, of course, is based on the limited info I have been able to find on the EN250 standards prior to the 2014 update. I very easily could be mistaken.

For a second stage, one would hope to see something marked EN250:2014 ideally. EN250A:2014 would be something you'd want to see on a first stage as the "A" designates the ability to support multiple second stages in the cold.
IIRC, the EN250 standards had a baseline assumption that after a certain depth (60 ft?) an alternate air source would be attached to a redundant 1st stage. The EN250:2014 seems to have acknowledged the sheer number of divers that go deeper with an octo on the same 1st as the primary, and instead test for that more real world scenario.

IIRC, the EN250 standards had a baseline assumption that after a certain depth (60 ft?) an alternate air source would be attached to a redundant 1st stage. The EN250:2014 seems to have acknowledged the sheer number of divers that go deeper with an octo on the same 1st as the primary, and instead test for that more real world scenario.

Agreed. Not sure the specifics of the depths, etc previously. That's what the new EN250A rating is about, but that'd be a first stage performance metric, not a second stage one.

Right, and I am comfortable with that. I am an Aqualung dealer, and have no qualms about swapping the necessary parts to convert a Core 1st stage to a Core Supreme 1st stage, even thought they have not bundled them as a "conversion kit." But it will still be marked EN250A >10°C. If searching for the right phrasing, maybe that is better described as an authorized modification.

More important is not to start moving around 1st/2nd pairing that were not tested together. While if each was part of a CW configuration in the first place that will probably be okay, it is not definitive unless that new pairing was also tested at some point. And having a CW 1st stage does NOT automatically mean that ANY 2nd stage used will "inherit" that property from the 1st. It is both components and systems that provide freeze resistance.

Agreed. Not sure the specifics of the depths, etc previously. That's what the new EN250A rating is about, but that'd be a first stage performance metric, not a second stage one.
I don't think so. I believe EN250:2014 tests the system (pair), not just the components.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom