Looking at you tech divers.... Looking at you...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I think the US could have very well done it, but the US wouldn't be using divers. They have specialized subs for tapping undersea cables. They were among the blackest of the black secrets from the Cold War. They would've used one of them.
Well… technically… that would still involve a steel tank.

But, you’re right, I’m sure it wasn’t done on SCUBA.

And PayPal keeps your money at a whim.

Ah, but do they earn interest on it while they keep it? Enquiring minds want to know.

In all seriousness, that is some despicably twisted sabotage.

Why? The point is, it deprives Russia income.

I bet they used steel tanks with wetsuits.

More likely just used a pipeline pig that can be put in the line and moved by the contents, inset explosives and time it to be somewhere that's hard to fix.

I like being able to go online and chat with good folks like people here, but I am afraid that that a lot of advancements the world have made over even the last 40 years has been a net negative. The 24 hour news cycle, the Internet, smart devices etc, seems to have accelerated the coming out and exploitation of the very worst in people. I find myself, more and more often, wishing we could trade it all in and go back to a simpler life. The genie's out of the bottle however...
Technology is always a 2 edge sword. When I was working on Bitlocker for Windows Vista, the FBI requested to our product unit manager to have a back door for them. He said no. We had a member from the NSA and GHCQ to make sure there were no back doors.

So while the target audience was people with valuable information on their laptops, criminals could use it for the same reason as it defeats forensic software.

Same thing with darknet. It can protect people from oppressive governments, but it can also be used by criminals.

There is no good or bad, but equal good and bad.

It can protect people from oppressive governments
security.png

Why? The point is, it deprives Russia income.

More likely just used a pipeline pig that can be put in the line and moved by the contents, inset explosives and time it to be somewhere that's hard to fix.
Pipeline pigs can only move if the increasing pressure on the downstream side is vented or otherwise diverted to end users. The Germans would certainly have noticed a pressure buildup on their end if a pig was used. Monitoring pressure was how the breaches were identified in the first instance, by a decrease in the static pressure of the lines, exactly the opposite of the increase expected if a pig was used.

There are also those one-way semi-autonomous ROVs with a prop in the back and high transit speeds. Depending on how covered the pipe is.

Back
Top Bottom