Looking for a backup dive computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My Zoop decided that it wanted to stop working and I find this would be very annoying if I was on an expensive dive. I would like to buy a backup computer, my only requirements are that it has air integration and has a way to sync data with a computer. I am looking for something cheap and this would be a redundant for my Zoop and normal pressure gauge.

So am I understanding correctly that you had 2 Zoops and 1 failed? In that case why not just get another 2nd Zoop? Fulfills all of your requirements, plus they'd be the same in terms of conservatism if one failed.

No I only have one 1 zoop, I had it "fixed", by the LDS, would like another computer for backup

Air integration and cheap are normaly mutually exclusive. If you get an air integrated computer use that one as the primary, it is probably a better computer, and use the Zoop as the backup. If they're different brands their algorithms will probably be different and show different information on nodeco time and other information related to bubble formation.

I agree with claymore. You are not going to find much of a cheaper computer than the zoop. However a air integrated computer will be more expensive than the zoop.

In a wrist computer this is the cheapest that I'm currently aware of: DG03 Dive Computer and Digital Gauge by Hollis Gear - Dive Gear Express $600 once you include the d/l cable.

Or go used. Most transmitters start around $3-400 so you're not going to find a cheap AI wrist computer new.

If you want to stay Suunto (same algorithm) and don't mind a hosed computer the Cobra is downloadable with their optional cable. Suunto Cobra Air/Nitrox Air Integrated Computer Console at LeisurePro $425 plus the cable runs around $70.

If you can live without the air integration there's the Oceanic BUD at $200. It has Dual-Algorithm technology so you can mirror your Suunto's more closely. And it clips off anywhere. Oceanic B.U.D Backup Dive Computer at LeisurePro

You might watch for Aeris computers on sale also - AUP recently announced they're discontinuing the brand name so they may be closed out soon.

I see a used Oceanic Atom 2 w/ cable and transmitter for $350, think this is worth it? I have heard of
thr dg03 recommended a lot. Reason I say backup as I am looking used and have less faith in them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom