Looking for a bcd without high side''chaps''?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just wondering if the people at my diving club won't look at me like I'm some crazy person if I tell them I've bought a backplate + wing as a beginner...

They shouldn't. Many dive centers/clubs in my area train people with backplate and wing from the beginning. Mostly because they think it is easier to learn correct trim and balance this way.
deepstop.de has a nice Apex regulator/Halcyon BP/W single set offer at the moment. Also you could consider X-deep Zeos and Ghost BP/W systems before deciding.

yes, when inappropriately weighted........ too much, wrong location, expecting it to be a May-West Vest and overfilling it....

The purpose of a back inflate or a wing is to assist in keeping a plane (horizontal) profile in the water. If the diver is weighted such that he/she is upright when on the surface, then the weighting won't work well when diving. It seems like simple physics to me. What am I missing?

You don't put weight only on your on your waist, as you balance/distribute it in cam bands too. It is when you drastically inflate and have lots of weight on your waist, it will tip you forward. Lean back, and use the tank like a weighted keel, and assume a reclined position.

But get your weighting right!

During underwater exercises where you remove the bcd and put it back on I always feel like it does take me quite a bit longer to take of the bcd with the high sides.

My take is that doff and don or ditching your rig has more to do with technique and familiarity than with what rig you choose. I've had several different types of rigs over the decades and it was just a matter of practice and time before I was comfortable with all evolutions.

Bob

A couple of things to consider:

If you get a backplate BCD, I'm not sure I would consider it to be super airline friendly for travel. A steel backplate could easily add 10 - 12, or more, pounds to your bag. You might find a carbon fiber backplate, but that adds $$$. Also, using the crotch strap will also add a level of difficulty to your task.

If you get a BCD with integrated weights, that may add to your difficulty of removal and replacement. Plus, you need to learn to hang on to the BCD a little tighter, as that's what is holding you down.

Youtube may be a good way to improve your skills by watching others with their techniques. For what it's worth, I like my AquaLung Zuma BCD. I did have to get used to a back inflate BCD, since I was used to renting jacket style BGD's. The back inflate naturally pitches you forward, instead of bobbing upright.

Good luck!
A steel plate is more like 6 pounds and not 12. But that is only half the story. A jacket BC also has some weight. So you really only have to consider the difference between the two. When considering packing also keep in mind that a backplate packs way smaller than the majority of BCs out there.

I think it might be useful to correct some misimpressions and misinformation, if the OP is to make an informed decision. I don't have a particular investment in what BCD he ultimately selects, but it would seem that misstatements should not interfere with the selection process.
Joris Vd:
During underwater exercises where you remove the bcd and put it back on I always feel like it does take me quite a bit longer to take of the bcd with the high sides. I haven't experienced it yet, but I feel like in a high stress situation in a real dive it might restrict me partially if time is of the essence.
It is important to understand that the scuba unit remove and replace is NOT an emergency exercise. Dropping your weight belt might be considered an emergency exercise. I cannot speak specifically for CMAS performance standards, but in all of the various agency curricula I am familiar with, there is no time requirement for performing the skill. So, how fast you could perform that skill should NOT be a selection criteria in choosing a BCD.
Snoweman:
If you get a backplate BCD, I'm not sure I would consider it to be super airline friendly for travel. A steel backplate could easily add 10 - 12, or more, pounds to your bag. You might find a carbon fiber backplate, but that adds $$$.
I regularly travel, internationally, with a steel backplate. I find it to be super friendly for air travel. Yes, the plate is 6lbs, and the SS waist strap buckle and D-rings may add another 1-1.5 lbs. I am not sure where the notion of ’10 - 12 lbs, or more’ comes from.
Snoweman:
Also, using the crotch strap will also add a level of difficulty to your task.
Adding a crotch strap to a BCD does not increase the difficulty of performing a scuba unit remove and replace, any more than having a chest strap (which many jacket BCDs, but very few backplates, have) might do. A properly executed 'scuba unit remove and replace' is performed in a deliberate, methodical and fluid manner. Having a crotch strap - which offers considerable benefit in term of scuba unit stability in the water - merely means that you have a possible extra step in the removal, and in the replacement.
Snoweman:
The back inflate naturally pitches you forward, instead of bobbing upright.
This is another one of those myths that seems to periodically pop up on SB. A back-inflate BCD may create a feeling of pitching you forward, if you are overweighted, OR your weight is improperly distributed. If you are properly weighted, and that weight is properly distributed for optimal trim, you will not have that sensation.
Joris Vd:
I'm just wondering if the people at my diving club won't look at me like I'm some crazy person if I tell them I've bought a backplate + wing as a beginner...
I would hope that would not be the case. But, the reaction of others will usually depend on their extent of knowledge, and breadth of experience. So, if members of your dive club do have some reasonable breadth of knowledge and diving experience, they are more likely to commend you on your choice. In contrast, if they look at you like you have sprouted a second head then you have a good indication that you are diving with relatively inexperienced, or very narrow-minded, club mates, and you should probably consider anything they say about diving and equipment in the context of that source.

Last edited:
I knew from the start that i didn't want a bulk jacket style BC. I wanted minimalist. I also wanted good trim which is easier with a back inflate BC. I didn't go with a DIR back plate and wing but I wanted something in between. I dive a single tank so there is no need for backplate other than the added weight. A smaller BCD is less buoyant and if I buy steel 120s (wish list) then I will carry very little weight. I looked at travel BCDs and considered the Litehawk. I ended up with a Dive Rite Transpac XT and it is great. As with most back inflates, there are no pockets. I have cargo shorts to stow wet notes, surface marker, reel, compass etc.

I think any travel style back inflate BC would work well for you. If you are travelling then forget about weights because the dive boats usually lend them to you.

The purpose of a back inflate or a wing is to assist in keeping a plane (horizontal) profile in the water. If the diver is weighted such that he/she is upright when on the surface, then the weighting won't work well when diving. It seems like simple physics to me. What am I missing?

Why do you ask?

A steel plate is more like 6 pounds and not 12. But that is only half the story. A jacket BC also has some weight. So you really only have to consider the difference between the two. When considering packing also keep in mind that a backplate packs way smaller than the majority of BCs out there.

I was going by what my recent instructor said about his backplate wing.

Back
Top Bottom