Looking for a Dive Resort in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cali_diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My husband and I are planning a 20 year anniversary trip this June. We were thinking of going to Wakatobi but my husband likes the big stuff way more than the Macro stuff. I have read a few threads and it looks like Fiji might fit the bill. We have been to tahiti and surrounding islands so we would like to do something different.

The Manta dive with Matava caught my eye. Are the Mantas there all year long?

Should we try to do a couple islands? I have seen Garden Island, Wananavu, Paradise, and Matava mentioned quite a bit. Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

I stayed at MATAVA in july 2010. Yes on mantas, the dive is called "MANTA REEF" and you have about an 85% chance of seeing them. It is a Manta cleaning station. We dove there twice and saw them on both dives. Matava is a small resort compared to some, but the staff there is outstanding. Maggie the host is a gas! The food there is very good and plenty of it. The reefs are pristine. The critters you can see are varied from macro to pelagic. We saw leaf scorpian fish, sea crates, humphead wrasses, if you are lucky humped back whales!. Garden eels. Accommidations are very comfortable. They just added a spa bure. If the diving is what you are there for then this place aI would recomend. Any more info you want just drop me a message here. Hope this helps.

:

For an anniversary I'd vote Wananvu. Not as many big critters but nice accommodations.

If you must have high voltage critters, maybe find a nice hotel in Pacific Harbor for the shark diving?

Garden Island isn't as posh as Wananvu (at least when I was last there) but I loved Taveuni. And the diving in Somo Somo straits was great.

Matava on Kadavu is remote and beautiful, rustic. Maybe romantic if you are an adventurous sort. Can anybody guarantee seeing big critters? That said, we saw as many as seven 15' mantas at one time. Yo! Getting there can be rough and sometimes blown out by the weather.

You'll have fun no matter where you go!

Thank you for the info! We like luxury and adventure that is why I was thinking of going to more than one place. Maybe Wananavu for a week and Matava for a while. I have read mixed reviews about Matava but most sound like people expecting luxury. I was a little concerned about the battery charging issue though cause if I am diving with 7 mantas, I want my camera!!!!!

Have you seen Paradise...That place looks nice as well!!!

wananavu, matava, paradise. you picked the bunch calidivergirl. all good, all different. matava - mantas. paradise - great white wall & somosomo straits. wananavu - bligh waters. for my money wananavu ticks every box every time (i been 3 times now) great diving, great staff, great accommodation, great food. anniversary and bit of romance, check out the honeymoon bures. didn't stay in one but visited with a friend who was. awesome!

Thank you for the info! We like luxury and adventure that is why I was thinking of going to more than one place. Maybe Wananavu for a week and Matava for a while. I have read mixed reviews about Matava but most sound like people expecting luxury. I was a little concerned about the battery charging issue though cause if I am diving with 7 mantas, I want my camera!!!!!

Have you seen Paradise...That place looks nice as well!!!

Matava has a battery charging station down in the main Bure. Had no problem with keeping my mine charged. On set to shoot with one set charging.

Dave

Hi
I do like the places suggested and they all offer great diving for the most part, but I am wondering how romantic you want? Wananavu is good but I wouldn't class it as romantic. Not a real honeymoon resort. Matava is more basic and that might take away a bit especially if the weather turns bad. Garden Island is cool and probably the best mix. But there are other options. On Taveuni there are a couple of 4-5* real romantic spots with the same diving, e.g. Paradise Taveuni and Taveuni Island Resort. OK, they aren't cheap but they do romance very well :)
Also have a look at Moody's Namena for a real bit of isolated paradise and access to the Namena Marine Reserve daily.
On Kadavu ave a look at resorts like Mai Dive.

All I am saying is that there is a huge choice and not just the ones booking agents tend to favor for their own reasons.

I hope that gives you a few more ideas.
Last thought is Nukubati on Vanua Levu. They are the only resort at present who dive the Great Sea Reef.

Have a great trip and anniversary.
Cheers
Greg

My husband and I spent about a month in Wananavu for our honeymoon last May. It was wonderful. We really got to know the incredibly kind and charming staff, and we stayed in the honeymoon bure, which with its outdoor shower (there was also an indoor one) and private pool was quite romantic. We were able to dive the Bligh waters almost every day we were there, and many of those days we were the only two divers on the boat, and the only boat in the area. It was truly first-rate diving.

We also rented a car for a couple days and drove south to do the shark feed at Beqa Lagoon. It was cool to see the big critters (bull sharks, lemon sharks, etc.) but Wananavu was MUCH nicer.

My husband and I spent about a month in Wananavu for our honeymoon last May. It was wonderful. We really got to know the incredibly kind and charming staff, and we stayed in the honeymoon bure, which with its outdoor shower (there was also an indoor one) and private pool was quite romantic. We were able to dive the Bligh waters almost every day we were there, and many of those days we were the only two divers on the boat, and the only boat in the area. It was truly first-rate diving.

We also rented a car for a couple days and drove south to do the shark feed at Beqa Lagoon. It was cool to see the big critters (bull sharks, lemon sharks, etc.) but Wananavu was MUCH nicer.

How long was the drive from Wananavu to the shark dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom