Looking for a Dive Resort in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WE have actually decided to go to Bali and go on a LOB to the Komodo area for the anniversary. We are going to plan another trip to Fiji with the kids 18 and 15 who are both good divers so I guess I need a place for a family of four!!!! Thank you for all the input!! So now I have to decide what time of year to go!!!

My wife and I just returned from 10 days at Paradise Resort in Taveuni. It is quite remote but the diving was very good. Saw a manta (infrequent event) pilot whales and dolphins and a fair number of white tip reef sharks. A large school of baracuda and of course all the usual suspects. Oh, and a couple of large spanish mackeral. The resort was absolutely wonderful. I don't know that the service could have been better. You sit down outside and they are asking what they can get you before you butt has realized you are sitting down. Food is prepared by a well trained chef rooms are large and clean. The nicest bure is papaya but it does not have air conditioning. Fans only. We liked the Reef room. Nice size, large deck and close to kitchen and dive operation (which is EXCELLENT) and air conditioned. The house reef offers some very nice diving and since we had a 10 dive package we had unlimited diving there. On the down side Paradise is waaay down the road. And the road is not paved all the way. A bit bumpy but they give you a running commentary on the way which made it interesting. Just up the road was a bird santuary whichmade our last day interesting. I didn't mind the remoteness at all. They do have internet available. It is really geared to couples although we had some singles dive with us too. The have a nice foot massage upon arrival and each guest gets a free 30 minute massage. Just a wonderfull experience.

We were married 4 yrs ago at Garden island so we stopped by to see who was still around. I was very disappointed. The fruit bats which used to live in one tree now have take over several and on the day we visited it was raining a bit and the odor was .... well we were glad we didn't return. The critters obviously eat a lot of fruit. Tuake, one of the divemasters we really liked was still there. Great guy! The management has changed twice since we were there. Things have changed a lot. The best thing about Garden Island is that they are right next to the international date line so you can hike up to where the sign is and get pictures of it (not worth it in my mind but whatever floats your boat). The building is like a Super 8 which in a 3rd world country is nice. 2 stories, usual layout. The views from both resorts are fabulous. The sunsets had folks out every night taking pictures till they realized that all the sunsets were equally amazing.

All that said, if I wanted to see big stuff I would go to Palau and stay on the Aggressor. Sams is an excellent shore based operation and they put together packages with the Sea Passion that are very reasonable. However Palau is a PAIN to get to. Sigh, you gotta give something to get something.

Last edited:
Just to keep this thread alive my wife and I are looking to go to Fiji for 30th Annv. in Sept. I was wondering if anyone knows which resorts have house reefs or offer unlimited shore diving with a package?
I tend to get a little seasick but I have found that if I spend a day diving from shore first I do pretty good out on a boat. Also we both really enjoy diving so getting a couple shore dives in each day along with a boat dives is great.

Also is the weather/diving good in September?

I was talking to one of the divemasters about best time to return and he suggested September. Paradise resort (where I just returned from) has some nice diving right out front. With the 10 dive package you get unlimited shore diving.

o2hog-Most of the island resorts I can think of would have shallow shore dives off the beach but In my (limited) experience the sea is pretty calm

Thanks for the replies it sounds like September should be a good month to go and maybe sea sickness won't be a problem. I know when I went to Bonaire the boat wasn't a problem but the water there was like being on a lake.

How does one get from Nadi to Taveuni, boat or small plane? If plane are there weight restrictions?

Also can anyone compare Taveuni with Beqa Island?

02hog-Myself I'm going by taxi to Denerau (20 mins) and cartching a water taxi to the resort.

I stayed at paradise in 2010. It was an amazing trip. They are definitely out of the way but it was amazing. If you want time lounging on the beach, paradise doesn't have a beach but their accommodations I think were spectacular. The best part in my opinion was the outdoor shower, the food and all the stars you see because it is remote. Service is excellent. If you want to see pictures, go to my website www.weitodive.com and I have my fiji pictures up there.

Back
Top Bottom