Looking for a dive shop and hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Infantry_169

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

My wife and I are planning a vacation to Cozumel in January 2010. We are looking for a quality dive shop to both take some courses from and do some really cool fun dives. We are also looking for suggestions on hotels in cozumel that cater to divers. I'm not looking for the Ritz Carlton, but I just spent a year in Afghanistan and I want to find someplace nice to take my wife on a marriage re-intergration/ really awesome dive vacation.

Thanks.:popcorn:

Cozumel Palace is very nice and is in town so you can enjoy great meals in town, especially if you will go off the beaten path. I wouldn't use on-site op but many others will pick you up there.

A bit further away from town and less expensive but still very nice is Blue Angel resort; it's got a great on-site dive op.

I've never stayed at former (it's got great reviews) but love latter.

Most hotels in Cozumel cater to divers.

Just about every hotel or resort has or is affiliated with a dive op, and they all cater to divers. Would you like a real beach or to be in town. Are you intending on hanging around the resort or getting out to explore the town, and the island when the diving part of the day is done? I have several property tour albums on line here

Picasa Web Albums - Larry

Last edited:
We have stayed at Blue Angel Resort and Villa Blanca Garden Hotel. Several times at each. Would not hestitate to reccommend either. Great folks at both places. But these days we opt for Villa Blanca and dive with Scuba Mau. It is a little less expensive and we just enjoy the crew/staff. Very entertaining.

We choose to NOT do all inclusive since we like to get into the city and back in the hood to try out the local eateries. Almost as much fun as the diving.

You should enjoy no matter where you choose. PM if you would like more info. We will be down there Friday.

I've stayed at Las Anclas a few times and it is very nice and civilized. Mostly adults there. No pool which is its only downfall. Nice kitchenettes so you can cook if you like....make your own coffee, store your yogurt snacks in the fridge...

After a year apart, I'm sure anywhere you choose will be just perfect! You're going to love Cozumel - the diving, the island, the people... Great choice for a vacation to re-connect. :)

"not the Ritz" covers a lot of hotels on the island. Do you want to be oceanfront? Is a nice beach a requirement? Do you want an all-inclusive? Would you consider a condo? If a very nice condo, a few minutes walk to the center of town, oceanfront w/ a private jacuzzi on the balcony sound nice, check out El Cantil. It's not the cheapest, but it's nice to have the extra space and not have to eat out every meal of the day. In the winter months when the evenings get cooler, the jacuzzi right off the bedroom is a nice feature too.

If you just want a basic, clean and comfortable hotel, Blue Angel, Villablanca (superior rooms, not the standards), and Casa del Mar would all work well. A little further south there's also Fiesta Americana which for diving is a great location.

If you want a natural beach then you've got to go further south to the all-inclusive resorts or north of town.

Lots of really good dive ops to choose from. They'll range from basic, no-frills to "valet diving." The differences are really in the extras they offer so decide what you'd be happy with and choose accordingly.

"I just spent a year in Afghanistan"

THANK YOU and WELCOME HOME!!!

Our favorite in Cozumel:

Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop

Trip reports and pictures here: Jim's Web Page

Welcome back then yourself. I just have read so many reviews where people say the bed was harder than a rock, or the place is noisy, dirty, etc . After spending a year in a excuse me 'cesspool' I want a little pampering, a little fantasy, but not willing to go broke for it. In short I want my cake and eat it too. LOL

:coffee:

I've been to Coz several times (and am going back in February). I agree with jlyle, check out Scuba Club Cozumel. Their on site dive op is great, efficient, and willing to work with you if you're part of a group and want to dive a particular site (Punts Sur / Devils's Throat). It is close to town (walking distance), half a block from the Chedrau (aka Mexican Walmart), and an all-inclusive. I have also stayed at Hotel Cozumel which is across the street, but it has been several years. They do have a great pool, but I'm there for the ocean, not chlorinated water.

If you go with an independent dive operation, I highy recommend Aldorra. I did night dives with them, and it is a nice change to be picked up at your hotel, get strapped to a Steel 120, and be told to go have fun.

Wherever you end up, you will have a great time. After your dives, wander in town and enjoy 'dollar beers' or a 'bucket o' beers'. It is a nice way to end what I assure you will be a great day. Just remember, not too many as it is a predisposing factor to DCS. I just haven't figured out how many it takes yet-

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom