Looking for a DSS set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaco6053

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
dear tobin,
I am looking at purchasing a backplate/harness setup and i have been referred to you for assistance. This would be my 1st backplate/harness setup. I am 6ft 185lbs. Right now I am using a Balance BC and use 12 lbs of weight with a 5mm wetsuit and an 80 steel tank. I am a recreational diver and I mainly dive in tropical waters with a single tank. I am looking to buy a backplate style setup because of its simplicity and streamline features. I would like too know what would be a suitable package for my kind of diving.
Thanks
:confused:

dear tobin,
I am looking at purchasing a backplate/harness setup and i have been referred to you for assistance. This would be my 1st backplate/harness setup. I am 6ft 185lbs. Right now I am using a Balance BC and use 12 lbs of weight with a 5mm wetsuit and an 80 steel tank. I am a recreational diver and I mainly dive in tropical waters with a single tank. I am looking to buy a backplate style setup because of its simplicity and streamline features. I would like too know what would be a suitable package for my kind of diving.
Thanks
:confused:

It looks like your 5mm wetsuit is about 14 lbs positive. That about right. I had to assume a bit about your tank buoyancy because there a number of differnt "steel 80's" in use today. I assumed your tank is about -2 empty.

A medium Plate and harness is about -6, a reg is about -2, I assumed your tank to be -2 empty, -8 full, so with a full tank your rig will be about -16 lbs. With an empty tank your rig will provide about 10 lbs of ballast. You should need about 4 lbs in a belt.

With a rig that is -16 and suit that cannot loose more than about 14 lbs through compression, the smallest wing I would recommend is a LCD 20.

If you contemplate heavier wetsuits, you may want to consider a Torus 26. More buoyant suits can loose more via compression, and require more ballast.

I would suggest a Hogarthian Harness.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Tobin

Would that rig be suitable for drysuit diving as well? I am looking at trying that out whenever I can find an instructor that way I can dive in cooler waters. If so could you let me know all the different parts I would need to purchase so I can see what my total price would be.

Thanks for all your help Tobin. I did some more looking around on your website and i see everything i need. I would just still like to know if i should stick with the Torus 26 if i ever want to use a drysuit? also do you offer a ditchable weight system that will mount to the harness? Thanx again for all your help!!!

Thanks for all your help Tobin. I did some more looking around on your website and i see everything i need. I would just still like to know if i should stick with the Torus 26 if i ever want to use a drysuit? also do you offer a ditchable weight system that will mount to the harness? Thanx again for all your help!!!

Required wing lift is primarily a function of exposure suit buoyancy. It's hard to say if 26 is enough for a dry suit you don't yet have. In many cases it's enough, but there are certainly combinations of undergarments and dry suits that will be more than 26 lbs positive.

If you need ballast in addition to your plate I recommend a conventional weight belt.

Tobin

Tobin, just want to thank you again. I used my new DSS rig and I love it. I was lucky enough to do my first dive with it down in Yonaguni Japan this past weekend. I went down there to check out the underwater ruins and sharks. It was a great trip and it was even better diving with my new rig! I can't thank you enough for the recommendations. The fit of a BP/W is just unbeatable compared to a traditional BC. Thanks again and I look forward to many dives with my new rig!

Back
Top Bottom