Looking for a more aggressive computer algorithm.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After the first dive I thought the same thing; but I checked his unit and he had his %02 entered correctly. I checked again before dive 2. It is possible some user adjustable settings made his unit even more conservative. I admit I'm not a suunto user so I don't know the ins and outs of this unit as well as I do my own. But I have other buddies that dive suuntos and they are always the limiting factor on our dives. Just for the record I don't think there is anything wrong with more conservative; I'm just saying that there IS such a thing and it DOES make a difference. See http://www.scubadiving.com/files/old/images/pdf/200806_chambertest.pdf

Weird, to set/check the O2% you have to put the computer in nitrox mode, so no chance of error there. That's strange, but with the personal/altitude settings it's possible to set the unit to something pretty conservative, but I'd figure most people don't mess arround with that.

Some olders suuntos (Gekko/Vyper/Cobra) also reset their O2% to 21% at the beginning of a new dive serie if a value is not entered, so that could have happened on the 1st dive.... as per the manual...

NOTE! The computer will automatically revert to
the air (21% O2) setting when a new dive series is
started, if it is not set to any other mix during the
last two hours. When the oxygen percentage is set
for air, the computer will retain this setting.

... and it seems the computer checks for a different O2% and not just you going into the O2% menu (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...-gekko-reverted-air-nearly-ruined-my-day.html), so you have to be careful with those. In any case, this is not mentioned in the Vyper 2 manual and certainly doesn't match the behavior I get from my Vyper Air (which is very similar to the Vyper 2), so it' probably not what happened.

I do agree that suuntos are very conservative computers, I just thought the numbers you were getting were pretty extreme, and thought it would be interesting to figure out why.

Thank you for all the reasonable responses.

We are both nitrox certified. However, nitrox is not always an option. It simply isn't available, at any price, let alone what I consider a reasonable rate to pay.

I am not interested in pursuing technical training at this point. I know how to comply with my computer's deco if necessary, but I do not plan my dive with deco in mind. Additionally, liveaboards and dive boats that I usually dive with have some rather harsh rules about going into deco on their watch. I don't mind, it's their boat.

I will look into the information presented. Thank you.

The Liquivision X1 running V-Planner Live set to VPM-B at +0 conservatism is probably the most aggressive profile you will get. You can see the profile you will get by running PC V-Planner at VPM-B +0, and you get the same thing in the water on the X1.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

The Liquivision X1 running V-Planner Live set to VPM-B at +0 conservatism is probably the most aggressive profile you will get. You can see the profile you will get by running PC V-Planner at VPM-B +0, and you get the same thing in the water on the X1.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Using a 19 minute bottom time at that setting results in deco of 5:20. For recreational diving computers that's hardly the most aggressive.

You remind me of a Mexican dive guide I met in Cozumel. He sold his Suunto Vyper because it was too conservative and bought a UWatec. That was not enough for him, so he set his FIO2 to 24% while diving on air.

As someone else pointed out the best way to increase your bottom time is to use Nitrox or add a deco stop. Adding a short deco stop and following your computer is safer than looking for a more liberal algorithm.

Adam

You remind me of a Mexican dive guide I met in Cozumel. He sold his Suunto Vyper because it was too conservative and bought a UWatec. That was not enough for him, so he set his FIO2 to 24% while diving on air.

As someone else pointed out the best way to increase your bottom time is to use Nitrox or add a deco stop. Adding a short deco stop and following your computer is safer than looking for a more liberal algorithm.

Adam

Do you have any proof at all of that claim?

Do you have any proof at all of that claim?

You mean that adding a deco stop is safer than using a more liberal algorithm to allow you dive without the stop? Finding a computer that allows your dive does nothing to the dive or its safety. Adding a stop gives time for your tissues to outgas nitrogen and should make DCS less likely.

If you accept the premise of decompression theory that a slower ascent and shorter dive time gives a greater margin of safety, it follows that a more conservative computer is safer. If you don't accept that then why follow any algorithm at all, just stay down as long as you like and pop up to the surface.

Adam

Last edited:
Using a 19 minute bottom time at that setting results in deco of 5:20. For recreational diving computers that's hardly the most aggressive.

What was the surface interval & depth again?

If you want longer bottom times, just get some advance/tech training and start doing planned deco dives, that is much, MUCH safer than pushing your dive computer to the max NDC dives.

Depth, gas, previous dive profile, SI?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom