Looking for a new Reg... recomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eurotin

Registered
Reaction score
OK, so i am new to diving.. just recently got my open water cert. I am looking to gather my own equipment and am going to start with a regulator. I plan on doing a lot of differnent types of diving (wreck, exploring, spear fishing) and will be diving in both warm waters (caribean) and semi-cold waters (NY area).

I have been doing some searching around online and have been leaning towards a few regulators, but am open to sugestions. I want to buy something that will last and versitile enough to use when i am more advanced, i figure its better to buy once and spend a little more now then just get beginer equipment.

based on what i have been reading i am leaning towards a reg w/ the following:

balanced diaphragm first stage
4 - LP ports
2 - HP ports
adjustable second stage

My local shop recomends AguaLung regulators so i think they may be a little bias, but who knows...I have been looking at the following reguators:

AquaLung Legend LX ( or others in the Legend series)
Oceanic Delta 4
Aeries AT 400 Pro

So looking to get opinions, recomendations, and thoughts...

thanks in advance...

I have a Mares V-16 Proton. I have been using it for about three years now and I love it. It is balanced and does not cause drymouth because it is all metal.

TOM

you cant go wrong with the scubapro mk17/g250. If you do a search on that reg you will see it meets all your needs. I dive a mk25/s600 and love it, but it is a little more expensive then the g250.

I own Apeks, Zeagle and Oceanic. Any of the ones you listed are great.

In fact I'd choose them in the order you listed.
AquaLung Legend (You pay for the name but can’t go wrong with a Aqualung. I don't like the ACD feature on the latest Legends, but the Apex is an excellent alternative now owned my Aqualung. I’d go with the XTX100)
Oceanic Delta 4 (For the money the Oceanics and Zeagles are tops. I like the cheaper GT 3 Non-DVT DIN over the Delta 4 myself or the Zeagle ZX Flathead VI)
Aeries AT 400 Pro (Oceanic regulator with different name and features (though I don’t see the point). Other than that I don't know much about them and don’t like the swivel on some of the 1st stages for the primary. Again I don’t know much about Aeries but I think the fist stage is the same as the oceanic that comes with the GT3 CDX-5 DVT)

My personal opinion is to wait a couple of years on the ACD and DVT features. I just see it as an addition failure point.

I own a Zeagle Envoy, Excellent Reg for the price.

If it's a choice between those three, I would go with the Delta 4. No contest. Sweet reg, great price and nice features.

If you're thinking of a re-sale value, go outside of the three and get an APEKS, but only if you're thinking of selling it many years down the road, otherwise, go with the delta4.

Seems like you've done your homework pretty well.

The Legend seems to be an awesome reg from the owners I've spoken to. A bit pricy but certainly quality.

The Oceanic will also be very nice. I don't know how well it does in cold water because no one I speak to who dives cold water has one. This is not to say it won't do fine. I have a Delta (but not a Delta 4) and I like it very much.

I have no experience with the Aeris models.

I also own some Dive Rite regs and think they work well.

Many people I know dive Apeks regs and can't say enough good things about them

The Scubapro Mk17 seems to be getting a lot of rave reviews from people who should know. The G250 is a basic second stage, and would be my choice if I were going that route.

Zeagle makes a fine line of regs, and I would not hesitate to own those given the parameters you listed.

Some people swear by Posieden regs. They breathe like gangbusters, but are expensive and have some quirks I don't care for. I have tried them though and the DO work well.

So lots of choices for you, at all kinds of price points.

Best of luck
eurotin:
OK, so i am new to diving.. just recently got my open water cert. I am looking to gather my own equipment and am going to start with a regulator. I plan on doing a lot of differnent types of diving (wreck, exploring, spear fishing) and will be diving in both warm waters (caribean) and semi-cold waters (NY area).

I have been doing some searching around online and have been leaning towards a few regulators, but am open to sugestions. I want to buy something that will last and versitile enough to use when i am more advanced, i figure its better to buy once and spend a little more now then just get beginer equipment.

based on what i have been reading i am leaning towards a reg w/ the following:

balanced diaphragm first stage
4 - LP ports
2 - HP ports
adjustable second stage

My local shop recomends AguaLung regulators so i think they may be a little bias, but who knows...I have been looking at the following reguators:

AquaLung Legend LX ( or others in the Legend series)
Oceanic Delta 4
Aeries AT 400 Pro

So looking to get opinions, recomendations, and thoughts...

thanks in advance...

serrada:
Aeries AT 400 Pro (Oceanic regulator with different name and features (though I don’t see the point). Other than that I don't know much about them and don’t like the swivel on some of the 1st stages for the primary. Again I don’t know much about Aeries but I think the fist stage is the same as the oceanic that comes with the GT3 CDX-5 DVT)

My personal opinion is to wait a couple of years on the ACD and DVT features. I just see it as an addition failure point.

The At 400 first stage is "shared" with Oceanic, the second stage is not. Oceanic does not have a equivalent regulator.

We see DVT as reducing failures, our testing bears this out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom