looking for a regulator for tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bell47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking for regulators to set up a set of doubles for a intro to tech diving class i'm going to take. I hope to move on to trimix afterwards. I'm really new to deep diving and want good equipment but don't know what I need. What are the pros and cons of your regulators vs others. Thanks.

I've used Poseidon Odens for 25+ years, very satisfied. See if you can get a copy of what the Navy authorizes for their divers, The Oden is on their short list. I can FAX you a dated copy of the Navy instruction that lists what they authorize, if that would help.

Poseidon Jetstream (Oden as you call it in the States), just read some books from Tom Mount or Kevin Gurr and you will realize on your own :wink:

Haven't had any experience with Poseidon but I can recommend Apeks. DS4 1st stage and TX50 2nd stage. Reliable, great breathing and easy to maintain. Not trying to take away from Poseidon as I have no experience but I have been diving Apeks at work and at play and I love them. PM me for more info.

Tyler

Guys, if you are going to recommend the Posiedens, especially the older ones, at least tell him the drawbacks.

Bell47, you will hear quite a lot of the same names coming up.

1. ScubaPro
2. Apeks
3. Aqualung (less)
4. Cave regs like Dive Rite, Salvo, Oxycheq, and maybe even OMS since you're up north.
5. Posieden

Each have their benefits and drawbacks. For innstance the Posieden regs have many specialized parts, are often difficult to find service for, require a custom hose in the case of the older models, and cannot be taken apart underwater if they get fouled. They also purge differently than most other regs, even the newer models, so can cause quite a shock for the uninitiated.

The ScubaPro regs are often piston based and this can be problematic in frigid waters. They do have some cold water models, so be mindful of that if you intend to dive very cold water.

The Apeks regs are generally excellent, but some models like the DS4 seemed to have quirks when used very deep. Check into that.

The Cave companies usually have regs made to spec for them by overseas companies and are often more similar than different. Additionally, many will sell service kits to owners so they can do their own maintenance. The larger companies won't do this.

I'm sure you'll get many fine recommendations, but be sure to do some research on the regs before purchasing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom